Argentine-Born Us Citizen W/ Us Passport To Travel: 90 Days?

A bit of ancient ARG immigration history......
I have been traveling between ARG and USA for 25 years. Since 2005, I reside most of the year here. I have dual citizenship, ARG by birth and US by naturalization. In 1970 I solicited the first renewal of my ARG passport and DNI at the consulate in San Francisco. It was my first trip back to BA since leaving in 1960.

In 1970, the consulate clerk who handled the paperwork was Argentinian married to an American. I asked her with which passport should I enter ARG. Answer: must present the US passport when boarding a flight from the US and upon re-entry. If I wanted the protection of the US consulate while in BA, enter ARG with US passport. Otherwise use the ARG passport.

I did not return for another visit to BA until 1989. By that time computers where already in place (intranet only) at immigration booths in Ezeiza. I presented both passports to the agent. He entered the info re the dual citizenship. He returned the ARG passport without recording a date entry stamp. Asked me for purpose of trip....vacation. Then, without asking which passport I chose to use, proceeded to stamp my US passport with a 90-day authorized stay. I didn't care because my stay was always for less days. He also placed a small stamp on the inside cover of the back page of the US passport which said "prior to1981" (or something to that extent). When I asked what that meant he waved me on with a look of disdain.

I went to the US Embassy to inquire what that stamp meant. It was explained that ARG and USA signed an immigration treaty in 1946. Among other stipulations, both countries agreed to recognize dual citizenship for those born in ARG who migrated to USA for the purpose of exile or voluntary migration. They told me that when renewing the US passport I should keep the expired one where the stamp is found until my next trip when the renewed passport gets stamped with the same info.

Apparently sometime during the presidency of Alfonsin, the utilization of the stamp with the year "1981" began being used to identify persons like me who fell into that distinct category. It also stipulated that these travelers, when entering ARG, could select with which of the 2 passports to get stamped with entry date. If using US passport, then the traveler entered as a tourist for X number of days as specified by ARG law.

I asked the US consulate clerk (Argentinian) for a copy of the treaty. I was referred to an obscure "office of records" in a warehouse in Darsena C. After 2 trips there and some "cajoling" (2 dozen medialunas), the clerk agreed to find the leather-bound book (size 4 ft by 2 ft) which contained the original. We then took the very dusty tome to a photocopier who specialized in copying architectural plans. And finally, to a notary public (escribano) to authenticate the copy. I have it in a safety deposit box in California.

Between 1989 and 2004 I began entering every year for a 3-month stay. I don't remember when Immigration stopped placing the "1981" stamp. Must have been sometime in the mid 90's. By then the agent only took the ARG passport for the purpose of placing the date entry stamp. I continued handing them both passports. It became a cost-saving factor when ARG began collecting the reciprocity fee.

A bit of ancient ARG immigration history......
........ I continued handing them both passports. It became a cost-saving factor when ARG began collecting the reciprocity fee.

Good report on YOUR experience until you got to the last line.
> It became a cost-saving factor when ARG began collecting the reciprocity fee.
“U.S. citizens born in Argentina are not charged a reciprocity fee.”
http://clang.cancilleria.gov.ar/en/content/reciprocity-fee-us-citizens

Those treaties are nothing today. Dual cotizenship is the rule with a few exceptions.

You have to notify thr AR Embassy or Renaper here about the marriage and the chane of name. And then, make a new AR passport where the names fits with the US passport.

Is this in fact the case? I have heard from several Argentine friends who married and changed their apellido here in the U.S. that the Argentine consulate told them they won't re-issue passports with a U.S. married name. They will note the change in your martial status (not sure if Argentine passport info page shows marital status), but not change your Argentine document based on a U.S. name change.

Seems like if the names on both U.S. and Argentine passports were the same, it would be much easier to enter/leave on two different passports. As things currently are I think we are just going to use all U.S. documents for travel and she will carry the Argentine documents and a copy of our U.S. marriage certificate in her bag just in case.

I suppose that in a situation where she might need to stay for more than 90 days, she could just enter on the Argentine passport and they'd figure it out at migraciones, and then when it came time to leave, arrive back in the U.S. on the U.S. passport.

Yes, it is the law. But I giess that it is very straight forward at Renaper because at the consulate they are useless.

When traveling to Argentina, I enter and exit with my Argentine passport and use my US passport to enter the States. My US passport has my married name, my Argentine my maiden. Since my US passport has my maiden name as my middle, I've never encountered any problems.

Wanted to follow up on this as an unexpected thing happened today when my wife arrived in Argentina. Migraciones agent asked how long she planned on staying and then gave her a "180 days" stamp in the US passport. Did not even ask to see the Argentine passport. According to her he claims all Argentine dual citizens can get up to six months on their U.S. passport if their visit will be for that long which is why they ask. We did not know this beforehand but appears to be the case:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexP.php?doblenac
http://erica.cancilleria.gov.ar/node/3299

Hopefully this is "news you can use" for those with dual citizenship or your spouses. It looks like if you overstay the 180 days you will have to use your Argentine passport to exit the country again.

So what's the clarification then? It is not a mistake to show your US passport if you intend on traveling on it and want to travel as a US citizen.

Most people who live in the US traveling for under 90 days with a US passport will want to present that to enter Argentina because they will have to return to the US on the same passport and it makes sense and is easier to do all travel on one passport.

According to those DNM links, if you are from a country that doesn't have a dual nationality treaty with Argentina, they will give you 180 days. So it sounds like the guy just erroneously applied this procedure to the US passport entering.

Since there is a dual citizenship convention with the US, they should treat Argentine-born people traveling on a US passport as US citizens and only give them 90 days.

Back