Argentine Directness

You might find it difficult to believe, 'Bob, but superficial concern for others is even more restrictive in the United States than in Britain. I can't argue that the Argentine approach, more straightforward, isn't preferrable, however.

yes here they call in a friendly way " negro" " negrito" gordo etc but! go and try to get a job if you are either negro or gordo!!!!

I've seen quite a few gordos in Bs.As.; but are there any negros? (Of course, there are visiting Africans, black Americans, and Brazilians; but very few black Argentines nowadays.)

So are negro, flaco, and just about every other adjective that, in most English-speaking lands, would be labelled deprecatory. Thank goodness no one in this thread has criticized the Argentines for conducting themselves in their social intercourse as they wish, and not as we foreigners might think that they should.

Alot of argentines i've met throw the term Gringo about pretty freely, but I've never sensed any mal intent. Thinks its just the way people are.

RWS said:
I've seen quite a few gordos in Bs.As.; but are there any negros? (Of course, there are visiting Africans, black Americans, and Brazilians; but very few black Argentines nowadays.)

Everybody who has a slightly tinted skin is being called 'negro'.

I know, I know. I tried (once again, unsuccessfully, as neither facial expressions, gestures, nor intonation translates well into the Web) to springboard into a bit of not-so-humor.

There is a show in Canada called El Gordo y La Flaca. It is literally though a fat person and a hot girl. ha!

Pretty much it is the same in Italy. Any racial term goes...and no one cares. But good luck finding it pleasant to live if u look foreign or are ugly. Its quite...sad actually...

Back