Argentine Experience As Expat In Ireland

Of course no one forced them to join the Euro? Who said they did?

We joined, we grabbed what we could and got caught by the same systematic failure as everyone else, it was exacerbated by non existant regulation so we were able to dig a deeper hole the most, that coupled with no proper risk controls in the lending process on behalf of most european banks led us to our own grave.

So its basically your own fault that your controlled by Berlin.

So its basically your own fault that your controlled by Berlin.

Wow.

Err...no.

I've put it in black and white for you but it's not hitting home. Have another read. In as much as it is useful to assert blame we can look at the wider financial market issues + local lack of regulation + european bank lack of risk control.

Not really as simplistic as you are trying to make it seem.

Wow.

Err...no.

I've put it in black and white for you but it's not hitting home. Have another read. In as much as it is useful to assert blame we can look at the wider financial market issues + local lack of regulation + european bank lack of risk control.

Not really as simplistic as you are trying to make it seem.

Your tuning into the Irish Bajo, jajajaja

1. For Argentineans is easy to get a working holiday visa that grant you permission to work here for a year and you can renew many times without problem.
Thanks for the update lamarque! I'm wondering, where else can Argies get working holiday visas in the world? I know NZ, and the US but just for students on summer holidays... Is there an age requirement?
[/quote]

I guess Lamarque is referring to the Visa PVT, WHV, VVT, VIE, VIA (Exchange program for sub-30 y/o: works in Argentina, Ireland, Australia, Canada, South Korea, NZ, France, etc.

I envy you Lamarque, I love Irish movies, with -English subtitles :D

Long time that i don’t post in this forum, i was arranging all the details to be comfortable in Dublin. Now probably you will see me around the forum more often as there is not that much work right now, so i have plenty of time in the office.
Economy is not that good anymore in here, well to be fair was not that good neither in 2011 when i first came but now it really more noticeable, prices have gone up, the European crisis feel much worse than before in this city, lot of people in the street asking for money or just trying to steal tourist, much more crime or at least sensation of crime lol (but mainly not violent for good luck), already got robbed but was my fault for been drunk walking home at 2 on the morning (something that never made me a problem before neither here or in Buenos Aires). First time in this city that I got robbed but almost all the people in my work agree that crime has gone up a lot since 2 years ago, my apartment got invaded by a group of the so called knackers (not sure is that the way to write it) and they just carry with all the stuff they could, for good luck I move in 3 days after that event (I live 2 blocks from Steffen Green for the people that know this city, so is the expensive area of the city centre)
Weather already hit my humour and we are still on summer, I don’t want to think on the very grey winter lol, Already missing Buenos Aires, of course there are good things here as well like been with my Girlfriend and in comparison to the average expats here I’m good as I have an office job, almost all the expats here are unemployed or work as kitchen porters if they are lucky (even if they have a master’s degree or many university titles). I have meet very smart an capable people that is wasted in very bad jobs, the problem is that the city have to many people coming from Spain where they cannot get any job at all according to them so they keep studying and then emigrate to work somewhere else, Poland, Brazil and Venezuela, In the streets of the city you hear almost as much Portuguese or Spanish as English, there is an incredible quantity of Brazilians living in this city.
Now let put the good things of living in Dublin, :) is not all bad there are many good things as well:
  1. you are 2 hours top from any other European capital by air
  2. For Argentineans is easy to get a working holiday visa that grant you permission to work here for a year and you can renew many times without problem.
  3. If you are a developer or a programmer or if you have any IT degree then there are good opportunity’s here as is plenty of IT company’s
  4. When the sun is up and is not cloudy, Ireland is amazing and really beautiful
  5. You have near the city places like Howth where you can enjoy fresh sea food and a nice walk and there are some nice beach’s on the south of the city that are very nice (of course the water is to cold to get in and normally is to cold to go in there)
  6. The city have people from all over the world making it very appealing to socialize for people that come from abroad without friends and you learn a lot of other cultures.
  7. Cheap Airlines (they are not that cheap anymore, in 2011 I was able to get a flight to some places for 7 euros and there was many promotions, now the minimum price you can get is 29 euros + 7 euros of administration cost and there are very few available at that prices only possible to use if you are totally free and plan with many months in advance, if you book on last moment prices are 400/600 euros to go from here to Germany)
  8. There are many other nice things of been here I just cannot recall now
Now a day I would choose to live in Buenos Aires more easy for me and I can make myself more valuable there than here, friend and family play a big role as well, here you start from 0 but in the other hand I have my Girl here so that turn the balance to keep me here and I’m still on age to adventure myself one more year out J, I will see how it goes.

Lamarque I wish you happy days settling into my homeland. The weather and traffic were just 2 of the reasons that drove me from it permanently so it's best to always presume the weather will be terrible and then comes beautiful Autumn in Co. Wicklow and the clear blue skies against the many hues of the county known as The garden of Ireland may convince you it's not so bad a place to live for a while. My old home village was Delgany, about 20k South of Dublin city. Our house was the old sunday school in the middle of the village and is right in front of the old graveyard has remnants of a13th century church and is definitely worth a visit as is Greystones, 30 minutes walking distance from Delgany, it's an early 19th century village that's now a charming coastal town. Go eat in the Hungry Monk restaurant or bistro which has a fine selection of Argentinean wines (and Spanish sherry). The dart will take you to Greystones in an hour from town. Happy adapting..if it's any comfort Ireland in the colder months reveals it's true charms more than the odd sunny day that befalls the isle every 10 yrs or so!

Back