Argentine Idioms.

nlaruccia

Registered
Going along the same line as Argentine humor, I was thinking about how Castellano has evolved and changed over the years, like any other language. In English we have our acronyms: FYI, ASAP, LOL, etc. Here there are more idioms being invented every day. Zapa for zapatillas, chori for choripan, fritas for papas fritas, peli for pelicula, finde for fin de semana, cole for colegio, and flori for Florianapolis. I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of at the moment. I find their idioms somewhat hilarious and am curious how they come up with them.

I think the most typical way is to invert syllables? "que lorca!" "vamos a un telo?" etc

Le bajo el comedor! -- I'll break his teeth in.

So violent but I like the play on words

There's a hardware store around Viamonte and Rodriguez Penia, called "Me falta un tornillo". Nice play on words.

Going along the same line as Argentine humor, I was thinking about how Castellano has evolved and changed over the years, like any other language. In English we have our acronyms: FYI, ASAP, LOL, etc. Here there are more idioms being invented every day. Zapa for zapatillas, chori for choripan, fritas for papas fritas, peli for pelicula, finde for fin de semana, cole for colegio, and flori for Florianapolis. I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of at the moment. I find their idioms somewhat hilarious and am curious how they come up with them.

Idioms are one thing contractions something else... like jermu, boga, capelu, Chabomba, bolonki, etc.
Idioms... La loma del Orto, Es lo que hay, etc.

parri for parrilla
milanga for milanesa

those are not really idioms! It's slang.

These are idioms:

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Tiene el comedor desordenado: he/she is lacking some tooth.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]No le sube agua al tanque: he/she is stupid.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Le faltan jugadores: he/she is crazy[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]You can add:[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Esta chapa/chapita (loco, destruido)[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Le llenaron la cocina de humo/huesos (pregnant)[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]echarse un cloro (p[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]ee)[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]echarse un polvo (have sex)[/background]

Back