Argentine Invasion Of Islands? Britain Increases Force.

The basis is because of Argentina intentions to buy 12 long range bombers from Russia, which has been rumoured since last Dec.

So that's what our impuestos a la ganancia is going towards? I thought it went to all the social programs to help the Argentine people. How naive of me.

So that's what our impuestos a la ganancia is going towards? I thought it went to all the social programs to help the Argentine people. How naive of me.
While there is a good argument to be made for cutting all military expenses, Argentina spends a paltry 0.7% of its GDP on its defence budget, by far the lowest in the region.

Here's a fun map from our friends at the World Bank for those of you who like to compare and contrast:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS/countries/1W?display=map

While there is a good argument to be made for cutting all military expenses, Argentina spends a paltry 0.7% of its GDP on its defence budget, by far the lowest in the region.

Here's a fun map from our friends at the World Bank for those of you who like to compare and contrast:

http://data.worldban.../1W?display=map

South America is hands down the most de-militarized continent in the world.

Camberiu: you're right about the colonial context, although Germany didn't have any colonies at the time NATO was founded, nor was it one of the original members. But Britain, France and Portugal were colonial powers, and the other members didn't think it was worthwhile getting embroiled in attacks on the far flung corners of those declining empires.

You mean helpless or perhaps defenseless.

That is one way to look at it.
I prefer to look at it in terms of how far we have come over the past 40 years. As a little kid, we feared an Argentine invasion or the (very real) possibility of an Argentine nuclear warhead pointed at us. Today, travelling to Argentina is as trivial as travelling between states within Brazil. A war between South American countries today is unimaginable. We have the UNASUR, we develop airplanes together and our military trains together every year. As dysfunctional as we might be, there is a sense of South American unity that we have never experienced before.
Is Argentina still a pain in the ass? Yes, but the nature of the pain in the ass is very different now. What was once the crazy and dangerous bully it is now the annoying but mostly harmless crazy aunt.

Back