Argentine province says paid dollar bonds in pesos

Greg2231 said:
Just came across this article on the Province of Chaco paying a Dollar bond in Pesos, which according to my understanding constitutes a technical default on the bond, it will be interesting to watch if this expands to other provinces or the national government.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012...-chaco-idUSL1E8L71S720121007?type=marketsNews

They owed something like $200,000 USD on an interest payment. So, to save $60,000 USD they ended up causing a 5-10% drop in value on pretty much every bond denominated in dollars trading here in Argentina.

There's another example of short-term Argentine thinking at work. They saved $60k by wiping out $300M in value from all the dollar bond issues. Go team!

el_expatriado said:
They owed something like $200,000 USD on an interest payment. So, to save $60,000 USD they ended up causing a 5-10% drop in value on pretty much every bond denominated in dollars trading here in Argentina.

There's another example of short-term Argentine thinking at work. They saved $60k by wiping out $300M in value from all the dollar bond issues. Go team!

For someone who doesn't have bonds or anything else of value, I have to admit that I didn't understand what this meant in the grand scheme of things. NOW I do. I would say "WOW" to that decision. :eek:

Back