Argentine Real Estate market to go down 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put my down for another still here, still happy.

Stanley, I am surprise you didn't respond sooner, you love this stuff.

soulskier said:
Put my down for another still here, still happy.

Stanley, I am surprise you didn't respond sooner, you love this stuff.

Well I'm glad you are still happy, but what are your thoughts on the situation? Clearly there is a slowdown from what I've read and discussed with other folks in Argentina. How bad do you think it will get?

People shouldn't worry about this if they are there for the long haul. If you are there and wanted to sell and get out it's probably too late, you'll just have to stick around until things get better or rent it out now and try to sell later.

As you know I'm renting here at least until towards the end of the year. I may buy then if I can get a very good deal, there's no rush as I don't think there going to be any big recovery in real estate prices for several years to come.

steveinbsas said:
Don't bet on it, especially with inflation.

That's like thinking Volkswagen Beetles will be priced "under $2000, again" (from an ad campaign from the 70's which I remember, damnit!).

Nonetheless, I do believe good values can be found if you shop very carefully.

Remember, real estate prices in Argentina are quoted in US dollars. The trillion dollar deficits projected for future US budgets may result in significant inflation in the US as well as additional upward pressure on real estate prices here (just to keep up with the inflation...just like the price of cheese).

It may not be such a bad idea to buy while you have the chance...if you've got the dinero.

Money in the brick usually beats money in the bank, at least in Argentina.

Inflation is not the big issue that was a year ago, the dollar is slowly climbing and prices can only drop.

As many know I work in Real estate here and these are the unbiased facts. Enquiries from overseas investors have dropped significantly and from the local market around 20 percent. Prices of properties have stagnated and some neighbouhoods have seen a 20 percent decrease of late.

While enquiries have dropped significantly there are still good sales as reported by Remax Argentina at higher prices than 2007 . The areas of Barrio Norte Recoleta and the better parts of Palermo have sustained their prices and good quality properties are high in demand achieving the owners final price.

In Buenos Aires there are very few mortgages and and very few owners who are desperate to sell. The local demand is strong due to a cash economy with very little investment in the stock markets and investment funds . Most wealthy Porteños have many properties and are cash rich something rare in many developed societies.

I believe that property gives people the best chance to protect your money in the long term. Many people around the world are seeing huge devaluations of their fiat currencies .
Tangible assets of physical gold and bricks and mortar are the safest investment. Always choose location and quality and you will make a good return over a 5 to 7 year period.

Stanexpat said:
Well I'm glad you are still happy, but what are your thoughts on the situation? Clearly there is a slowdown from what I've read and discussed with other folks in Argentina. How bad do you think it will get?

People shouldn't worry about this if they are there for the long haul. If you are there and wanted to sell and get out it's probably too late, you'll just have to stick around until things get better or rent it out now and try to sell later.

As you know I'm renting here at least until towards the end of the year. I may buy then if I can get a very good deal, there's no rush as I don't think there going to be any big recovery in real estate prices for several years to come.

My thoughts are the whole world economy is slowing down, including real estate, not just in Argentina. We have had a house for sale in California for well over a year, have several price reductions, but no luck as of yet.

On a local front (I am in Bariloche), I see absolutely no sign of tourism slowing down. All of our properties are almost booked for the summer, and the area is jumping with people.

Our short term rentals could be switched into longer term rentals (there is a major demand) if the tourism market does slow.

In short, given the global financial crisis unfolding, I am very pleased with our position. And since the peso is getting close to 3.5 to 1 dollar, the cost of living has actually gone down for those of us earning dollars and living on pesos.

There will be fewer UK investors in the short term, considering the considerable drop in sterling to dollar and peso exchange rates....in UK they are talking about a 5 year recession, so who knows how things will pan out. It's not a great feeling in terms of confidence for those stuck here and living on pounds!

soulskier said:
My thoughts are the whole world economy is slowing down, including real estate, not just in Argentina. We have had a house for sale in California for well over a year, have several price reductions, but no luck as of yet.

On a local front (I am in Bariloche), I see absolutely no sign of tourism slowing down. All of our properties are almost booked for the summer, and the area is jumping with people.

Our short term rentals could be switched into longer term rentals (there is a major demand) if the tourism market does slow.

In short, given the global financial crisis unfolding, I am very pleased with our position. And since the peso is getting close to 3.5 to 1 dollar, the cost of living has actually gone down for those of us earning dollars and living on pesos.

Thanks for your views. My guess is that real estate in Bariloche has seen fairly modest price rises in recent years versus B.A. In the states those areas that saw only modest increases in prices are having only modestly impacted by the downturn. Those areas that had the biggest increases are the ones getting pounded now.
Wonder if this will be true of Argentina as well. Also areas that people said it couldn't happen to because of location like Manhattan, San Francisco are getting hit now as well.

Celia said:
There will be fewer UK investors in the short term, considering the considerable drop in sterling to dollar and peso exchange rates....in UK they are talking about a 5 year recession, so who knows how things will pan out. It's not a great feeling in terms of confidence for those stuck here and living on pounds!

A chance for me to gloat here: I bought property Eighteen moths ago when the pound was strong (all be it, I did not complete until September) so for most of my money I got a very good rate, and am recieving rent in pesos.
Nobody has a crystal ball, but I believe that there is never a bad time to buy property, almost invariably though, yesterday was better.

tangobob said:
A chance for me to gloat here: I bought property Eighteen moths ago when the pound was strong, so for most of my money I got a very good rate, and am recieving rent in pesos.quote]

That's one aspect and I'm glad for you! However there are still things like property tax, ABL, utilities etc... that are now 20% more.
Just imagine the increase if the pound goes to dollar parity again (we''ll be singing all those 80's hits!)

Celia, taxes and utilities are ridiculously cheap in Argentina, not sure what your gripe is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back