Argentine salary scale

Tanvimil, where are you from and what do you do here to earn that amount of money?

guys you have no idea. i make more than that but most of the people i know live on less than 4000 and have decent lifes, going out and everything.
hell, not long ago i was living on 3000 pesos myself, paying 1000 for rent. dont scare her!
with 4000 youre perfectly fine to live on your own renting a studio

My friend after working 6 months for a South African company was able to negotiate a 2000 peso living allowance on top of her 5000 peso salary in order to help with the costs of renting a furnished place.

This may be a little off subject but I am trying to understand why salaries here are so low.

I have looked into employee laws here and I see you have to pay so much per year of employment if you terminate an employee, and I am amazed at the number of government-mandated paid holidays. Coming from the U.S. where we always worked so hard, it amazes me. I never know when I go down to the street if the stores will all be closed down. In the US we have a few holidays but nothing like here. Good Friday, usually a day before Christmas, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving. Maybe a week vacation the first year you work for a company, two weeks annually after that unless you've been there a while, and perhaps 7-10 days sick leave. I don't know what other benefits are mandated here (if any) but just the holidays alone would force an employer to pay less. Or are there factors that I can't see? If this is the wrong place for this, just ignore it and I'll post it elsewhere some time. I'm curious though.

arlean said:
This may be a little off subject but I am trying to understand why salaries here are so low.

I think you answered your own question! If you look at what an employee costs you, you have to factor in all of the above (salary, sick pay, annual leave, termination) plus you have to pay their income tax (40% I believe) plus healthcare (standard in most professional places) plus this, plus that, plus the other.

An employee could cost a company 100k a year, and only see 40% of that in terms of their salary.

This also explains why plenty of businesses work in the black, and why even more work in the grey...

steveinbsas said:
I'm sure you will find useful information in this thread:
subscribed.gif
Job Offer in Buenos Aires (especially regarding cost of living in BA). Look at the advice this recent college graduate was given about living on $4150 pesos a month. At that pay level he would not be able to live alone in even the smallest studio apartment and have a decent life in BA.

If a foreign company isn't willing to pay a foreigner more than a local (two or three times the figures other members have posted in this thread) they are not worthy of serious consideration.

Good luck!

Well, Steve, I certainly hope you're wrong on that account given that I have accepted that job offer. Although I will probably opt for a shared apartment with Spanish speaking roommates to feel more integrated with the local/international culture and improve my Spanish (and of course cut costs at first), since my company operates in English. A few months down the road I might look for my own place, maybe after my first raise.

perry said:
I believe that anything less than 9000 pesos a month in Buenos Aires and you be living rough. The truth of the matter is that life in the city is dear and by my calculations by 2013 Buenos Aires could be the most expensive city in the world.

Too many people are not familiar with our history but twice in the last century Buenos Aires was the most dearest city to live in the world. As Argentinian society is based on speculation this will come to pass again.

For a family or for a single person? That seems high to me...

PhilipDT said:
For a family or for a single person? That seems high to me...

Appartment rent = 5000 peso
125 peso expenses x 30 = 4000 peso

Back