Argentine Us Marriage With Expired Tourist Visa

Talo

Registered
Hi there, I've been reading some topics on this issue and from what i read it should be a simple process (at least for the DNI) but we need some help.

I'm Argentinean and my girlfriend is from USA, with a tourist VISA expired (just for a couple of weeks) since we had some issues with the work visa.

When we went to migraciones to ask if the expired visa would be an issue for the work visa they said that it wouldn't. Would that be the same for getting married?

The problem we encountered is that when we tried to get a marriage appointment online they ask for both of our DNI's (which she doesn't have of course) and they don't give you the passport option.

Does anyone know how to do this? Should we just write her passport number under DNI or do we need to do something else?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

if you need an online appointment, just type something that will get your request go through, passport no. or made up number.

As for the visa and the marriage, when I got married they checked my stamps on the passport, but my tourist visa was unexpired so I can't really tell if that made the difference. Anyway, I think that at the registro civil they don't have the same duties/power as migraciones, and I think they won't question her expired visa. Furthermore, the moment you two are married, she can apply for perm. res. I'd say to stay calm and do what you have to do. And congrats on getting married! ;)

I think they do check... but I've also heard in some places they don't. So could go either way. For me it had to be up to date.

I would go in person and ask what they require and you can also ask about how to sign up for an appointment. If you're in Capital, I believe you can shop around a bit as to which registro civil to go to.

For migraciones it's true that it doesn't matter if it's expired... but for marriage they can be strict about it. Best to find out straight from the people you'll be dealing with.

There are stories that some do not check, mine did and I could not get married until I sorted it out. Luckily we were just checking for the future so it was a case of just renewing the tourist visa.

I'd overstayed the entry stamp in my passport by 18 months when I got married in May and it was no problem at all, but I'm British so no reciprocality visa thing. This was in Capital Federal. I'm pretty sure there was an option when we made the appointment to say that I was foreign and input my passport number - you then HAVE to enter the details of a legal translator, otherwise the site won't let you make the appointment (when you actually go to the office, they cancel the translator if they're happy that you can speak Spanish.)

Thanks for your responses, we'll try to get in contact with the registro civil tomorrow and see what happens.

Update on the topic in case someone is in the same situation in the future.

We went to migraciones to ask if the expired visa would be a problem to get the DNI and they said it wouldn't be a problem, but that we might encounter problems in the Registro civil to get married.

So we went to the closest registro to our house (the one in Villa del Parque, on Ricardo Gutierrez) and we asked them. The lady had to check with her supervisor but they said it was fine. We got an appointment at that same moment, presented the documentation and got married yesterday. :)

Update on the topic in case someone is in the same situation in the future.

We went to migraciones to ask if the expired visa would be a problem to get the DNI and they said it wouldn't be a problem, but that we might encounter problems in the Registro civil to get married.

So we went to the closest registro to our house (the one in Villa del Parque, on Ricardo Gutierrez) and we asked them. The lady had to check with her supervisor but they said it was fine. We got an appointment at that same moment, presented the documentation and got married yesterday. :)

Congratulations !

Back