Argentine was sooo mean to me! Is this normal?

The mad mood is something typical porteño, there's even a word for that: mala onda porteña. People in BsArs are accustomed to treat others in a rude way. That's the way it's been always.
So different in other countries like Colombia or Brasil.
I'm saying all this with regret, I wish I could say different. I'm half Argentinean.
I would consider another country Ahava if you are still able to change your destination.

I did my visa at the Arg consulate in Barcelona.
I phoned them, emailed them and visited them on numerous occasions.
They couldn't have been more helpful in fact, bearing in mind the shitty job they have to do and the crowds of people they have to deal with.
I couldn't do it.
I'd probably end up like Basil Fawlty.

So sorry you had that experience. There are rude people everywhere. As a young woman I worked for attorneys in the U.S. and I had to go periodically and "check the docket" to be sure we had not missed something and I would stand and wait while they finished telling jokes or something. No concern whatsoever about my time or much of anything else. In private industry you have to care what your customers think of you. If you are government you don't.

Having said all that, interesting our different experiences. I find the Argentina people a great group and I can't remember meeting a rude one. In fact, my experience is so good I wonder if it's partly just the neighborhood I live in. I do find them warm and wonderful. When I have needed help here in my building it is the same. I could not say enough good about the Argentines,.

However it isn't all good. Many of them will steal. And not just the poor ones, that has little to do with it. But as far as courtesy and pleasantness is concerned, I've been in and out of Argentina for seven years, first in Bariloche, now in Buenos Aires, and I adore the Argentine people. So I hope you won't be put off by that rude person!

I will be working and living in Olivos. However, I would like to go to the city of Buenos Aires sometimes. Can't I find native Argentine people who are not rude like this to be friends with? Are people like this in Olivos too?

Sorry you had a bad experience but considering not coming because one person was rude to you...jumping the gun a bit?

That being said, I find the people, in general not so welcoming either. Generally, when I say this I mean people in the service industry or shops, etc. Sometimes it feels like have no interest in helping you out because you have an accent...I can just HEAR them thinking, "Shankee asshole..." Hey, it is what it is. I wouldn't worry about it cuz it's not just you.

BUT, yes, there are some super friendly people as well - I usually find these people by way of friends of friends.

If you're really angry..then I suggest you get a friend to call them & secretly record their rude manners/voices over the phone ....then upload it to youtube.com & then broadcast the youtube link to all...call it "A taste of Argentine service".

I live near Olivos and can assure you that the natives are friendly.
But seriously, you just had some bad luck and in my experience of living in this area for seven years, I can barely remember any rudeness. On the contrary, I find people will go out of their way to help.

mariano-BCN said:
That's the way it's been always.

If its still being done the way its always has been, there will never be any progress... Unfortunatly, thats why Argentina still hasnt progressed..

I've met plenty of rude people here in Argentina but most of them have been in government offices. The embassy of Argentina had staff that was pretty darn rude and lazy. I'm afraid that is the story of Argentina when it comes to doing things with the government.

However, in regular day to day dealings, I haven't really come across people that are just generally "rude". People here like to talk about politics and have a whole lotta opinions on the US, informed or uninformed, if you take part in those discussions, and have a differing view you might see rudeness.

Other than that, I have come across rude people behind the counters if I am unable to understand what they say.

Don't expect the warmest, most polite people in the world here in Buenos Aires. You will not see that here. Don't have high expectations either. Just come here, enjoy your time, ignore the idiots and go back!

Good luck with your visa process.

nicoenarg said:
I've met plenty of rude people here in Argentina but most of them have been in government offices. The embassy of Argentina had staff that was pretty darn rude and lazy. I'm afraid that is the story of Argentina when it comes to doing things with the government.

However, in regular day to day dealings, I haven't really come across people that are just generally "rude". People here like to talk about politics and have a whole lotta opinions on the US, informed or uninformed, if you take part in those discussions, and have a differing view you might see rudeness.

Other than that, I have come across rude people behind the counters if I am unable to understand what they say.

Don't expect the warmest, most polite people in the world here in Buenos Aires. You will not see that here. Don't have high expectations either. Just come here, enjoy your time, ignore the idiots and go back!

Good luck with your visa process.
For my part and being a Brit, I find Argentines have a very old fashioned sense of politeness and good manners that far outshines much of which I experienced in my own country.:)

Back