Argentines American dream goes sour

pericles said:
I find Argentina to have more freedom than anywhere I have lived elsewhere and that includes Europe,Australia and Hong Kong and while life is not perfect it certainly is much better than most foreign and local media commentators are trying to portray.

Freedom to do what? I'm sure all the folks struggling to feed their families in villas throughout Argentina would be honored to hear how free some European expat happens to feel here. It's certainly a whole lot easier to enjoy all the "freedom" in a third-world country when you have the option of getting the hell out if the shit hits the fan, no?

Anyway, the situation with the Argentine folks up in New York sucks and while I hope that they're able to get the visas they've earned, they've pretty much fucked themselves in that community and should think about relocating if they do manage to get those visas. Otherwise, they'd be better off down here. They must speak great English at this point and have lots of valuable experience. I'm sure they could put together a good life down here. Wouldn't ever be able to get back into the US, though, which is a damn shame considering how they put their asses on the line for the US government. Sure they're slimy snitches, but a deal's a deal and they deserve the visas.

I feel sorry for these people. It sounds as though they were taken advantage of by the immigration authorities. To work as informants, though, you have to be pretty desperate. A taxi driver here recently told me how eager he is to live in the US. He works endless hours but is paid 'en negro' or under the table by his employer, so he has no benefits. He doesn't earn enough to buy his own cab; he just gets by and he and his wife are unhappy. They are so desperate for a better life that they are considering entering the US from Mexico or going to Cuba and looking for a way to enter the US by sea. As bad as things are in the US these days, the country still holds out tremendous hope to people all over the world. There just isn't enough room for all who want to come, though.

As you have stated in your post Gouchobob making critical remarks about government policies is not anti the people of the country . In regards to my support of the Kirchners as stated by your comment . All I do know is there a better opposition
Cobos ? Elisa Carrio? Macri? They seem poor choices and Cobos is particular seems extremely disloyal and shameless in his conduct as a vice president .

Many people will not admit this publicly but privately they will say that there lives have improved the last years . Now they might dislike Christina and Nestor and complain incessantly about crime and corruption but very few would like to go back to the Menem years and the ravaging inflation of the 1980s .

I believe in balance and yes Argentina can be improved and yes Buenos Aires has many faults but for the moment its the best we have and if we look at the world situation it is mighty stable considering .

I believe that the current government is not a dictatorship nor is a uncaring government. Sure its not perfect and the comments by Christina Fernandez Kirchner can make me cringe but overall I do not see her as this evil corrupt woman portrayed by many here and overseas.

In the world Argentina plays a very small part and there are much more important issues today that are very serious Greece, Afghanistan, Iraq . Yemen, Haiti and the growing wars that seem to be engulfing new countries. This is more important than Christina using botox or Christina talking pork etc etc.

pericles said:
I believe in balance and yes Argentina can be improved and yes Buenos Aires has many faults but for the moment its the best we have and if we look at the world situation it is mighty stable considering.
I believe that the current government is not a dictatorship nor is a uncaring government.
I agree with this, whats wrong with christina? I would even consider sleeping with her after a few very large beers? but the bigger question is who would you replace her with that would be better?

pericles said:
As you have stated in your post Gouchobob making critical remarks about government policies is not anti the people of the country . In regards to my support of the Kirchners as stated by your comment . All I do know is there a better opposition
Cobos ? Elisa Carrio? Macri? They seem poor choices and Cobos is particular seems extremely disloyal and shameless in his conduct as a vice president .

Many people will not admit this publicly but privately they will say that there lives have improved the last years . Now they might dislike Christina and Nestor and complain incessantly about crime and corruption but very few would like to go back to the Menem years and the ravaging inflation of the 1980s .

I believe in balance and yes Argentina can be improved and yes Buenos Aires has many faults but for the moment its the best we have and if we look at the world situation it is mighty stable considering .

I believe that the current government is not a dictatorship nor is a uncaring government. Sure its not perfect and the comments by Christina Fernandez Kirchner can make me cringe but overall I do not see her as this evil corrupt woman portrayed by many here and overseas.

In the world Argentina plays a very small part and there are much more important issues today that are very serious Greece, Afghanistan, Iraq . Yemen, Haiti and the growing wars that seem to be engulfing new countries. This is more important than Christina using botox or Christina talking pork etc etc.

Thanks for your answer. I would agree that there not much hope that some of the alternatives would be any better. However, for Argentina sake I hope some better choices emerge or some of the existing choices prove better than expected. It's still a ways to the election and anything can happen here.

Quentin.Daniels said:
I agree with this, whats wrong with christina? I would even consider sleeping with her after a few very large beers? but the bigger question is who would you replace her with that would be better?

How about Lopez Murphy.....
(better as a President, that is)

Quentin.Daniels said:
I am sorry i had quite a few large beers in me last night when i made that post. What I meant to say was that I like Christina as a president, and I think she doing a really good job. She is a good president for the Argentinian people. The Argentinian people are always going to be bitchers and moaners no matter who is president. ;)

The Kirchners are dead set on wrecking what's left of Argentina's institutions. They started with the INDEC, went on to expropriate the retirement funds of millions of Argentinians, and are now trying to get their hands on the Central Bank's reserves.

SaraSara said:
The Kirchners are dead set on wrecking what's left of the Argentine institutions. They started with the INDEC, went on to expropriate the retirement funds of millions of Argentinians, and are now trying to get their hands on the Central Bank's reserves.
You have no idea what you are talking about, Christina is doing what is right in trying to attract foreign investments again, she is also creating more jobs by restricting certain imports and increasing the tax revenue by encouraging exports of products they have plenty of.... there is much more that she is doing good for her people but I have a hangover i don't feel like responding to someone that probably has no clue anyway. About the INDEC and the retirement funds, keep up the good work Kirchners.

SaraSara said:
and are now trying to get their hands on the Central Bank's reserves.
Yes so they can pay back the loans that Argentina owes, whats wrong with being honest and doing what is right, and whats wrong with thinking about the future longer than the term of your presidency? Sara you have that crooked Argie attitude that will take you nowhere.

Back