Argentines American dream goes sour

I think many people in Argentina think life in the USA or Europe is easy and since many haven't been there, they tend to idealise it.
Life in Argentina is not that bad as many suggest-

malbec said:
I think many people in Argentina think life in the USA or Europe is easy and since many haven't been there, they tend to idealise it.
Finally something we agree on :)

Quentin.Daniels said:
Yes so they can pay back the loans that Argentina owes, whats wrong with being honest and doing what is right, and whats wrong with thinking about the future longer than the term of your presidency? Sara you have that crooked Argie attitude that will take you nowhere.

SaraSara is just another middle class argie that knows absolutely nothing. She just has that opinion because all her other middle class friends think the same.

Quentin.Daniels said:
You have no idea what you are talking about, Christina is doing what is right in trying to attract foreign investments again, she is also creating more jobs by restricting certain imports and increasing the tax revenue by encouraging exports of products they have plenty of.... there is much more that she is doing good for her people but I have a hangover i don't feel like responding to someone that probably has no clue anyway. About the INDEC and the retirement funds, keep up the good work Kirchners.

Indec consistently falsifies the inflation data and it is known worldwide. La Presidenta *may* want to get her hands on the Central Reserves for the good of the country and to pay down the debt (I assume you can imagine my opinion on that) but went about it illegally. As for the retirement funds, well - foreign businesses tend to be a little leery of a government that nationalizes things:eek:

Re: the article - yes, it is very sad. But it does appear that senators and representatives of the gov't are also involved in helping them and trying to do what they can.

SaraSara said:
The Kirchners are dead set on wrecking what's left of Argentina's institutions. They started with the INDEC, went on to expropriate the retirement funds of millions of Argentinians, and are now trying to get their hands on the Central Bank's reserves.

I agree entirely. What's the purpose behind all this? My guess is that they don't plan on leaving the office anytime soon. They aren't very popular today so it will be interesting to watch what happens between now and the election date. If it looks like they are going to lose I wonder what they will do, perhaps there will be some emergency requiring the elections be delayed indefinitely, who knows.

Don't you have anything better to do than read all my posts and comment on each single one of them? Really, I am flattered...!

orwellian said:
SaraSara is just another middle class argie that knows absolutely nothing. She just has that opinion because all her other middle class friends think the same.

You must be one of the few people innocent enough to swallow the K's stories hook, line and sinker. To stay blissfully ignorant, be careful not to talk to people who have seen their lifetime savings vanish, expropriated by the K's in their effort to stay in power.

Quentin.Daniels said:
You have no idea what you are talking about, Christina is doing what is right in trying to attract foreign investments again, she is also creating more jobs by restricting certain imports and increasing the tax revenue by encouraging exports of products they have plenty of.... there is much more that she is doing good for her people but I have a hangover i don't feel like responding to someone that probably has no clue anyway. About the INDEC and the retirement funds, keep up the good work Kirchners.

malbec said:

Malbec, I'd say the life in the US is easy - too easy. Yes, things are getting harder and I believe that the standard of living is going to gradually decline but compared to Argentina and most countries, life there is extremely easy. I say that to Americans all the time and they get upset because few have any context but their own. My aunt turned 65, picked up the phone and called the Social Security Administration to ask for her 'state pension'. After five minutes on the phone the 'tramites' were finished and within a month she received, via direct deposit to her bank account, her first lifetime monthly payment of USD $1,500. A friend lost his job and has decided to wait one year until he turns 66 and can collect his Social Security and private pension. Meanwhile he receives 'Unemployment Compensation' from his state. I don't know the amount but he admits that it is good and is covering a large part of his bills. It will last around 40 weeks, maybe more. By that time he will be covered by Social Security and Medicare. The latter is basically socialized medicine for those 65+. These are just a couple of examples of the ease of life in the US and I mention them to point out how spoiled Americans are. I find them sometimes the hardest people to do business with in Argentina because they are just not used to the inefficiencies of most countries in the world. They expect a lot because they have so much and they are used to it as some sort of birthright. By contrast many Europeans are more flexible.

Hey what happened to Perciles' little dig at the US. And the poor Argie snitches who opened a business without Social Security numbers, didn't pay taxes, overstayed visas, and cut a deal with ICE to roll over on other immagrants.
Frankly I feel sorry for them, a little bit, anyway.
However, most of you are illegal in Argentina. Would you ever cut a deal with the Argentine police to snitch on your fellow illegales. If so, what reward would you expect to see? A DNI maybe??????
Perciles lets see some articles about the folks that France is pitching out of the country. [just for a change of pace]

Back