Argentines American dream goes sour

SaraSara said:
The expropriation of the retirement pension funds, done by the Kirchners.
The K's did this to protect the people and the value of those funds in the long term.

SaraSara said:
My daughter, a schoolteacher, lost 2/3 of her savings when the government changed the laws overnight, after going on record saying that dollar deposits were absolutely safe.

But I imagine Quentin.Daniels will say that this, too, is hearsay.

For Mr. Daniels' information, it was President Duhalde, not Kirchner, who dropped the peso/dollar parity that made 2/3 of dollar savings evaporate.
President Duhalde's strong support for the Kirchner's and against Carlos Menem would qualify him as K's in my opining, you are just trying to nitpick.

Quentin.Daniels said:
The K's did this to protect the people and the value of those funds in the long term.

If you believe that, I have this great bridge in Brooklyn for sale, for a really good price.

Those funds are long gone, spent to buy the suburban Intendentes' support.

Quentin.Daniels said:
President Duhalde's strong support for the Kirchner's and against Carlos Menem would qualify him as K's in my opining, you are just trying to nitpick.

For your information, Duhalde hand-picked both Menem and Kirchner thinking they would be willing puppets. Eventually, both turned against him.

I suggest you read recent Argentine history before posting on the subject.

SaraSara said:
For your information, Duhalde hand-picked both Menem and Kirchner thinking they would be willing puppets. Eventually, both turned against him.

I suggest you read recent Argentine history before posting on the subject.
I am not always right and when I am not I have no problems admitting it, but the difference between you and me is that I base my info in verifiable facts.
When this currency conversion that we are talking about took place Duhalde was a strong supporter of the K's and here are the facts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Duhalde
I would like you to show me where you get your facts from?
So far all you have been posting has been your personal opinions, heresay and an occasional bridge for sale.

Quentin.Daniels said:
I am not always right and when I am not I have no problems admitting it, but the difference between you and me is that I base my info in verifiable facts.
When this currency conversion that we are talking about took place Duhalde was a strong supporter of the K's and here are the facts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Duhalde
I would like you to show me where you get your facts from?
So far all you have been posting has been your personal opinions, heresay and an occasional bridge for sale.

I get my facts from having lived in Argentina for the past fourteen years. I was here when the peso was devalued - that's not "heresay" but a fact.

Duhalde did not really "support" Kirchner - he tried to use him as a spoke on Menem's wheel. Unfortunately for him, the trick backfired.

And with that, I give up on trying to clear your misconceptions.

SaraSara said:
I get my facts from having lived in Argentina for the past fourteen years. I was here when the peso was devalued - that's not "heresay" but a fact.

Duhalde did not "support" Kirchner but tried to use him to put a spoke on Menem's wheel. Unfortunately for him, the trick backfired.

And with that, I give up on trying to clear your misconceptions.
Duhalde picked Kirchner as his dolphin to fight against Menem. I¨m argie and lived here that time.

gusgutier said:
Duhalde picked Kirchner as his dolphin to fight against Menem. I¨m argie and lived here that time.

That's right. In local parlance "Se le hizo la vaca toro" - His cow turned to be a bull.

(I'm an argie, too, and I also lived here at the time.)

SaraSara said:

Yes you were here and that is a fact. But where did you get the info from? You can't state personal experience as a source. Unless you can point us to where the info comes from you have nothing to prove your arguments with.

orwellian said:
Yes you were here and that is a fact. But where did you get the info from? You can't state personal experience as a source. Unless you can point us to where the info comes from you have nothing to prove your arguments with.

Where do YOU get your "information" from?

Back