Argentines American dream goes sour

marksoc said:
Anybody that says that the K "confiscated" the private pension funds clearly doesn't understand what a private pension fund is, the problems this system had in Argentina, and the lower amount of money that he/she had received if by some magical reason the private system could survive another 30 years. K maybe made that move by the wrong reasons, but they made you a favor.
Exactly, in the LONG term she made the Argies a huge favor, but most of them aren't smart enough to understand that, all they can do is bitch.

I'll give you in a nutshell what has happened in Argentina and throughout South America that may help some understand what goes on here.

A populist government gets power claiming that they will take care of the poor by basically taking from the rich. Often they try to do this by nationalizing assets and businesses that others have built up over years into something worth stealing. Once they have control they generally run these assets and businesses into the ground through mismanagement and corruption. A government or two later the assets and businesses are in such bad shape that they are re-privatized with the idea that this will make the economy grow and create jobs, what often happens is that these assets and businesses are sold to cronies in sweetheart deals making these people rich. After a few years the businesses and assets are built back up to something worth stealing again. Another populist government is elected and the process starts over again.

The average citizen never benefits from this and long term effect has been very negative on the economies of these countries, creating crime, poverty and all the attendant problems . Only through basic reform of institutions which strengthen the rule of law and democracy will these abuses ever be curbed in Argentina or in the rest of South America.

gouchobob said:
I'll give you in a nutshell what has happened in Argentina and throughout South America that may help some understand what goes on here.

A populist government gets power claiming that they will take care of the poor by basically taking from the rich. Often they try to do this by nationalizing assets and businesses that others have built up over years into something worth stealing. Once they have control they generally run these assets and businesses into the ground through mismanagement and corruption. A government or two later the assets and businesses are in such bad shape that they are re-privatized with the idea that this will make the economy grow and create jobs, what often happens is that these assets and businesses are sold to cronies in sweetheart deals making these people rich. After a few years the businesses and assets are built back up to something worth stealing again. Another populist government is elected and the process starts over again.

The average citizen never benefits from this and long term effect has been very negative on the economies of these countries, creating crime, poverty and all the attendant problems . Only through basic reform of institutions which strengthen the rule of law and democracy will these abuses ever be curbed in Argentina or in the rest of South America.

And where does the neo liberal policies that created the crisis fit in to all of that?

gouchobob said:

hahaha that is so true.

Would you be so kind as to point out which posters buttress their arguments with footnotes and documented sources? (Except Wikipedia, I mean.)

99% of the posts I've read are just OPINIONS - including yours. Now, I have nothing against opinions - in fact, find dissenting opinions very interesting. But don't try to pass your opinions as documented facts, because they are not.

Quentin.Daniels said:
orwellian is correct here and even if the actual articles are not available there is always references to these event on the web.

This in my opinion is proof that you are only stating your OPINIONS not any facts.

Quentin.Daniels said:
Exactly, in the LONG term she made the Argies a huge favor, but most of them aren't smart enough to understand that, all they can do is bitch.

This is your opinion. Only time will tell.

Quentin.Daniels said:

That is not a fact, but simply your own opinion. Kindly furnish documentary evidence supporting your statement.

SaraSara said:
I get my facts from having lived in Argentina for the past fourteen years. I was here when the peso was devalued - that's not "heresay" but a fact.

Duhalde did not really "support" Kirchner - he tried to use him as a spoke on Menem's wheel. Unfortunately for him, the trick backfired.

And with that, I give up on trying to clear your misconceptions.
The point is that you need to learn the difference of facts and opinions, look at this post you made, you get your opinions from having lived in Argentina and the fact is that you lived in Argentina. In many of your posts you are claiming facts that are actually your opinions, this may not make a big difference to you but that is why you piss of so many other posters on this forum. Make it easy for yourself state that your posts are your opinions and not facts unless they can be verified as a fact.

SaraSara said:
Would you be so kind as to point out which posters buttress their arguments with footnotes and documented sources? (Except Wikipedia, I mean.)

99% of the posts I've read are just OPINIONS - including yours. Now, I have nothing against opinions - in fact, find dissenting opinions very interesting. But don't try to pass your opinions as documented facts, because they are not.
I am glad we can agree on something, all my posts are my opinion unless I state that it is a fact.

SaraSara said:
That is not a fact, but simply your own opinion. Kindly furnish documentary evidence supporting your statement.
I am happy that you are learning the difference of facts and opinions.

Back