Argentines or Argentinians?

katti said:
When I look it up in my dutch/english dictionary, it says :

Argentinië (countryname in Dutch): Argentina, The Argentine :confused:
never heard of the "the argentine". 'I am living in the argentine, where do you live?":cool: hmm.

It refers to the Argentine Republic. It seems that "The Argentine" is an alternative name for Argentina. I think it's obsolete. But it is not listed as such in the dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/argentine

Argentine. Argentinian should be used to refer to " from Argentina " but not people.

Lucas said:
Argentine. Argentinian should be used to refer to " from Argentina " but not people.

according to whom?

Argentinian

adjective
1. of or relating to or characteristic of Argentina or its people; "Argentinian tango" [syn: Argentine]

noun
1. a native or inhabitant of Argentina

Previously I refrained from replying to this thread as I knew it would end up with 'no you're wrong' type responses. But this is how it is.

Sorry Lucas, Mini is correct.

Historically the word Argentine 'in english' was used to refer to something made of silver or with a silver like appearance..........but like all languages things change over time and now it is completely acceptable to use both Argentine and Argentinian to describe the nationality of people from Argentina.

Argentinian is British english. And Argentinean is American english. Both are correct. Argentine is also correct, but a newer addition to the language over time.

mini said:
according to whom?

Argentinian
adjective
1. of or relating to or characteristic of Argentina or its people; "Argentinian tango" [syn: Argentine]
noun
1. a native or inhabitant of Argentina

‘Argentinian’ is one of those words that has been used so often that the publishers of dictionaries feel obliged to include it as a word. It’s an example of usage trumping correctness.

The correct word has always been Argentine. I have never heard an Argentino call themselves an Argentinio, even though that is linguistically possible. In the end, it all comes down to style, preference and nationality (UK subjects will probably use Argentinian).

My personal opinion is that Argentine is a more elegant word, in addition to being the most correct usage, and it is the only one of the three possibilities that I would use.

Also...not my words but the same apply.

My wife, whose from Argentina, tells me Argentine is correct.
she also suggests I smack anyone who says “Argentinian”.

So you've been warned. :D

Lucas said:
‘Argentinian’ is one of those words that has been used so often that the publishers of dictionaries feel obliged to include it as a word. It’s an example of usage trumping correctness.

The correct word has always been Argentine. I have never heard an Argentino call themselves an Argentinio, even though that is linguistically possible. In the end, it all comes down to style, preference and nationality (UK subjects will probably use Argentinian).

My personal opinion is that Argentine is a more elegant word, in addition to being the most correct usage, and it is the only one of the three possibilities that I would use.

Also...not my words but the same apply.

My wife, whose from Argentina, tells me Argentine is correct.
she also suggests I smack anyone who says “Argentinian”.

So you've been warned. :D

Your preference has been duly noted. However, neither your nor your wife's opinion determine correctness of usage of the English language.

Lucas said:

I had read this as well. Where did you read this, Lucas?

Back