Argentines or Argentinians?

laureltp

Registered
Okay. I teach English and I normally teach the students to say Argentines. But sometimes one of them will argue that it's Argentinians. Does anybody know which one is correct or are they both okay?

I've often wondered about that. As far as I know, both are right.

Either is correct. I personally prefer Argentine.

Right, either is correct, as is Argentinean (which MS Word seems to prefer for some reason). I use Argentinian because I like it more.

For some reason, many students have it in their head that their country is called Argentine in English - no many how many times I tell them it's Argentina, they keep saying Argentine.

Diskosis said:
For some reason, many students have it in their head that their country is called Argentine in English - no many how many times I tell them it's Argentina, they keep saying Argentine.

I have noticed that too. Strange...

Diskosis said:
Right, either is correct, as is Argentinean (which MS Word seems to prefer for some reason). I use Argentinian because I like it more.

And the ones from Ghana... hum ... Ghaneans ... Ghanese ... Ghanaians !

Argentinaians would be delectable !

Diskosis said:

It seems that Argentinean is the American spelling. So if your MSWord is set for American English that's what it will like. But it will also like Argentine, just not Argentinian which seems to be the UK spelling.

When I look it up in my dutch/english dictionary, it says :

Argentinië (countryname in Dutch): Argentina, The Argentine :confused:
never heard of the "the argentine". 'I am living in the argentine, where do you live?":cool: hmm.

Yup, both are right (yet have 3 different pronunciations!)
I always think "Argentinian" sounds forced....it's a mouthful of vowels! Argentine (pronounced like 'fine') is the most commonly used from what I've noticed.

okay, thanks! I wasn't really sure what to tell them. It's kind of embarrassing to be in the middle of an English lesson and not to know which is the correct way to say their nationality.

Back