Argentines & psychologists

point being that my guess is that only a slim margin of "patients" actually go to solve an issue, while most go to solve their "neuroris", that is the freudian alternative to the original sin, the mental disease we are all born with (in the best of cases, the worse being psychosis)./ No Freudian will tell you people can be naturally sane just as no preacher will tell you people are born free of sin. not even babies, wow.

Ahh, then apologies for missing your point, which sounds a potentially valid one.

Cheers.

Hello
Iam a local and I have been to therapy in the past, we can talk to friends but seeking profesional help is another thing, a profesional has the tools to work with and if he/she is honest far better. I think someone needs therapy when one can`t deal with problems or is unable to make changes on it`s own but when a person is happy and knows what to do and what to expect, that person doesn`t need any therapy at all. I went to therapy many years ago and for about one year and since then I only came twice or 3 times in 10 years for family problems with my kids and it was solved in family talk.
Reina

rihornos said:
Hello
Iam a local and I have been to therapy in the past, we can talk to friends but seeking profesional help is another thing, a profesional has the tools to work with and if he/she is honest far better. I think someone needs therapy when one can`t deal with problems or is unable to make changes on it`s own but when a person is happy and knows what to do and what to expect, that person doesn`t need any therapy at all. I went to therapy many years ago and for about one year and since then I only came twice or 3 times in 10 years for family problems with my kids and it was solved in family talk.
Reina

I'm not arguing just curious. What do you believe it helped, the neutrality of a place to talk to a seemingly "well put together" human being offline, or the fact that the human being in question is certified psychologist, or maybe just chance (or recommendations) on the "analyst" you get.

Thanks

Matt84 said:
Sorry, I meant that as an answer. I believe "going to therapy" (freudian style for years) for portenos might be a little like "going to church" for the bible belt.

I have zero idea why people go to church, be it to show faith, or acquire salvation, or confess, or whatever, but I see a similar pattern. The going to therapy religion is obviously more individualistic, but not necessarily in a good way (someone said something abhout narcissism)
Hmm, interesting idea. So along the lines of it being a personal choice rather than any overt "issue" they need to deal with?

Before I started this thread, I emailed a local Porteno friend of mine with the same question, his response: "Yeah is quite common for people with no friends and with no alcohol issues like me."
(He's a drinker, hence why he makes a good drinking buddy for an Aussie!)

Which, while said half jokingly, may have a hint of something along similar lines: That many of us can get drunk with some friends and we end up laughing about or moving on from some personal issue that way. In some cases maybe not in the right way, and we should seek professional help for some things, but for the majority of minor issues this style of exorcism is adequate.

But maybe in a culture where "getting drunk" isn't so accepted (and yes, we are generalising here, just to get some ideas), then maybe visiting a psychologist is needed even for the most minor of "issues"?

(sorry for a bit of verbal diarrhea on that one...)

rihornos said:
Hello
Reina
Hey Reina, thanks for your contribution, very valued. :)

The one thing that seems a little different for you compared to many I have met/talked with so far, is that you went for a short time and the therapy helped you solve your crisis. Many others just seem to go for years and years with no end benefit.

I do like that there's no stigma associated with seeing a psychologist, that's something we in "the west" could definitely learn from. It's more about the shear numbers of people who visit a psychologist and for such a long period. Do you know of any friends who have been going to a psychologist for a long time, and the reasons why? And do you know of any going to a psychologist who you think really don't need to?

Cheers.

There is a natural conflict of interest in a psychologist "curing" his/her patients...
When one looks at much of the way business is run here..I would not be surprised if that conflict has been accepted by the "care" giver... in return for continuing visits ($) With the argument that the client/patient...seems to be happy to keep coming back..so he is offering a service..

Well I don`t know why even here some people are so ashamed of saying they go to a therapy, going to a therapy is only being aware that sometimes we cannot deal with life alone, that we need someone with whom to talk and we are decided to work with ourselves (be prepared to do the changes we wanted even if this is difficult for us, be prepared to see what we were unable to see in ourselves and in others) this is not easy but is like having another chance or starting again. Some others may go for snobism but this was not my case. I wanted to have a family but I was going in the opposite direction, then I made all the changes now I have a nice family with triplets, i have the life I wanted to have and I really could make the most of it. I sent two friends to my therapists who are also thankful to him and from time to time I see him for the kids specially but nothing that cannot be solved in a family talk with my husband. But a person who knows where to go and where he is and what to expect from life and from himself doesn`t need a therapy. My friends are still going unfortunately for one of them her problem is not so easy like mine.
REina

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact..that in some cases, therapy is needed/helpful..The question seems to be much more about, seemingly everyone that can afford a therapist has one...and has been going for several years. With no apparent results. That being said... who knows..maybe if there were no therapists... inflation would be at 100%?

Back