Argentines & psychologists

deeve007

Registered
Is it just me, or does every second local have a psychologist they go to on a regular basis? Seems like something from a US sit com.

Anyone know/have any theories on why it's so common here?

I don't know nor can I make any comments about it either becuase I don't want another 3 hour lecture from all of my argentine friends.

Personally, I think that was is so unusual is that they talk about it on a completely regular and familiar basis.
For example, my colleagues would quote what their psychologist told them about their relationship with their mom in the middle of our office lunch.

deeve007 said:
Is it just me, or does every second local have a psychologist they go to on a regular basis? Seems like something from a US sit com.

Anyone know/have any theories on why it's so common here?

After 8 years and many friends later I have learnt not to judge others according to my own previously held theories on therapy. Argentineans are optimists like no others...wirth therapy, surgery or diets they strive to be the perfect person, believing it possible and necessary..and to be honest Ive seen many do a good job, losing baggage of old recurring relationships and then marrying, losing weight etc..N Americans have been doing therapy for years..difference is that many talk the talk but dont seem to change. I like it that my Argentinean friends dont talk "therapy speak" they just say they do it and then get on with it and stop when they're fixed!.

I'm not asking anyone to judge anyone, good or bad, I'm just really curious why it's so common here. For example, I don't think Australian's generally have any more or any less "issues" than Argentinians', but hardly anyone visits a psychologist. Hence my curiosity to know why.

Indeed, there seems to be only a few nationalities where seeing a psychologist is common, so I'm wondering if the reasons are common or specific for those cultures. For example. Or if they know some secret the rest of us don't. ;)

...with therapy, surgery or diets they strive to be the perfect person...
Though this part... (and we're not talking just Argentinians with this) does concern me a little... what exactly is "the perfect person"? I for one don't see anything healthy in cosmetic surgery nor constant diet fads, so hopefully psychologists aren't really along the same lines. Or are they, and is it just another part of society saying there's something "wrong" with you that you need to fix?

Having not yet spent time in other Latin countries, is it an Argentinian specific thing, or also very common across South America?

I've always been under the impression that North Americans resist going to therapy, and/or are even embarrassed of admitting to going to one. Maybe it's because that means to being flawed and blemished. I'm not sure. Just an observation. Yet, Argentineans all go to therapists and they're very open about it. It's "normal" and common here to go to one. After arguing with several Argentinean friends about the reasons that they go and never seem to get better, I came to the conclusion that they prefer to talk with their therapists about their personal lives rather than with their friends. In other words, they like to chat with their therapists and consider that their friends are meant for family gatherings, sports events, going out to the theater or clubs, and are not meant for revealing deeply intimate secrets. Now I understand why Argentineans shy away from people that like to open up about their problem. They prefer that you just go to a therapist than to them.

I probably have different opinions to many here but I do not believe very much in psychology and notice that it creates narcisism in many here in Buenos Aires . If you cannot have good friends that you can talk to frankly about your problems well the friendship has little value and you may as well have a pet .

Finding yourself comes from within and taking control of your own life . A psychologist mostly indulges the patient and I know of many cases that people have been seeing the same theraphist for over 10 years and still their problems within themselves are uncured.

I know that there are people who have benefit from psychotherapy but also I know many many more who have benefited from having honest friends and good social networks.

Great question--I definitely have a few points on the subject that I'd like to address.

Most therapy here is psychotherapy, meaning it has it's roots in Freudian psychology. In North America, psychotherapy is hardly used at all, in favor of Cognitive-Behavioral which is much more effective in a shorter amount of time. One of the reasons for this change in approach is that insurance companies will not pay for therapy indefinitely, so in some ways we can thank the messed up system in the U.S. for putting pressure on the industry to get better results quicker.

This is why here in Argentina people go to the same therapist for years--they never really move forward. They may find 'reasons' why they behave the way they do, but there is not much push to question it or change the behaviors to something that works better. Culturally speaking, in some circles, having a therapist is actually a prestigious thing like the brands you wear or car you drive.

As a professional life coach, I run into similar conversations with locals quite often asking me why they would hire a coach when they've had a therapist for the last decade who does the same thing. In all honesty, if they've been seeing the same person for so long, it means they haven't progressed, and I would question whether they were even coachable. Therapy deals with bringing you from an unhealthy past to a healthy present. A coach brings you from where you are in your healthy present to your full potential. When I see something that is out of my bounds as a coach, I recommend them to a behavioralist, never to a psychotherapist. And despite some earlier comments, therapy can have tremendous effects in the lives of patients (and I speak from both professional and personal experience). The worst thing that can happen to you in therapy is that you'll get a new perspective one what's affecting you emotionally.

I think it's healthier that Argentines are more open to talking about therapy rather than it being viewed as something shameful (like in the states), but therapy as a tool here could be greatly improved. I have met behaviorlists here and there are also psychotherapists who have furthered their education to more modern techniques and some are even studying coaching. I have a lot of respect for any professional who continues to learn, though just like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones.

Also, something I see as healthier here is that there are not that many people medicated, so psychiatry is not doing the damage that it is in the U.S. (aside from Rivotril or Alplax which are 'chill pills' that can be prescribed by just about any doctor here, and people use it to control anxiety-you get about the same calming effect with a glass of wine, and it's a lot tastier as long as you don't go overboard).

If anyone would like to get in contact with a great Behavioralist (cognitive-behavioral psychologist) completely fluent in English, feel free to contact me and I can put you in touch.

Saludos,

Paul

There's obviously not as much as a stygma here to go to a psychologist. It's almost like going to any other doctor... if you need it, or it might be helpful, you go. Nobody thinks you're crazy if you talk to a professional about personal issues (which we all have.)

Back