Argentines Queue for Fuel as FX Shortage Strands Tankers at Sea

Diesel and GNC (compressed natural gas) are the two fuels there appear to be no shortages of, so trucks, buses, and taxis are going to be the last vehicles running. I got Shell V-power last night after a bit less than 30 mins queueing for a bit more than a block, no big deal, except for the plague of motorcyclists trying to queue-jump. To be honest I've queued for longer on other occasions, before programmed price-rises and holiday weekends.

I saw no shortage of goods in the shops (like I said, delivery trucks will be among the last to stop running), Coto, Disco, the local Chinese shops, and Farmacity were all normal yesterday

Venezuelan expat groups, in particular, are enjoying the current difficulty, their schadenfreude is posted all over IG, and they're more than happy to stir up panic. Just for comparison, the FIL went to fill up his tank last week in Caracas, he left the house at 7am, and got back at 3am the next day, For all that some wish to see the similarities, I don't think we're there yet.

One of the founders of Greenpeace doesn't think much of what that organization stands for/and or asserts now, including the use of "fossil" fuels.

I found what he has to say about the organization and its policies regarding carbon based climate chage in this video very interesting:

Diesel and GNC (compressed natural gas) are the two fuels there appear to be no shortages of, so trucks, buses, and taxis are going to be the last vehicles running. I got Shell V-power last night after a bit less than 30 mins queueing for a bit more than a block, no big deal, except for the plague of motorcyclists trying to queue-jump.
There wasn't any nafta in Punta Alts on Friday or yesterday...not sure about today.

To be honest I'vequeued for longer on other occasions, before programmed price-rises and holiday weekends.

Isn't there a "programmed" price increase in NAFTA set for Nov 1?

I saw no shortage of goods in the shops (like I said, delivery trucks will be among the last to stop running), Coto, Disco, the local Chinese shops, and Farmacity were all normal yesterday
Then all people with vehicles that run on NAFTA have to worry about is being able to get to the store...

...and they will still have alternatives if it's too far to walk.

The response from the minister of economy (and seemingly the only voice from the executive) and presidential hopeful was:
- petrol companies need to normalize supply by Tuesday at 00:00, otherwise Argentina will ban all exports
- without subsidies petrol will cost over ARS 600 per liter, so a vote for Massa is a vote for cheap fuel

“si el martes a las 12 de la noche no está resuelto el abastecimiento, desde el miércoles no van a poder un solo barco de exportación, porque, primero, el petróleo argentino es para los argentinos”.

“los argentinos tienen que saber: sin regulaciones, el precio del litro de la nafta sería hoy de $680. Para que quede claro: la discusión del 19 de noviembre es si el litro de nafta se paga a $680 o al valor de hoy.“

Time tested and failed politics of delusion at its worst, pretending that the country can solve an economic problem of not having enough dollars by cutting off exports to get dollars and offer cheap fuel even if that means offering no fuel because the prices they choose to set are simply unrealistic.

Time tested and failed politics of delusion at its worst, pretending that the country can solve an economic problem of not having enough dollars by cutting off exports to get dollars and offer cheap fuel even if that means offering no fuel because the prices they choose to set are simply unrealistic.
👍

U$D 1.25 for four liters of nafta gasoline. Without subsidy it is double, which is still cheap compared to US or EU.

I do not understand why there are subsidies for the entire population. They did a similar scare with the Subte train subsidies recently too. The government could stop giving all subsidies to the 50% of people, since they are the half not living in poverty.

👍

U$D 1.25 for four liters of nafta gasoline. Without subsidy it is double, which is still cheap compared to US or EU.

I do not understand why there are subsidies for the entire population. They did a similar scare with the Subte train subsidies recently too. The government could stop giving all subsidies to the 50% of people, since they are the half not living in poverty.

"La Argentina, según la Agencia Internacional de Energía, tiene un subsidio del 26% sobre el costo de los combustibles fósiles, muy por debajo de los subsidios de los mayores productores, donde llega a superar el 80% del precio, pero por encima de muchos otros, como Perú, Colombia o México".

It could be better, but it doesn't seem to be a really big ticket item. I believe the end consumers are responsible for less than 20% of the cost, the rest is made up of private companies, transport and agriculture, I'd guess.

You didn't mention it, but fuel imports and refining are not in the hands of the government, that's why Massa is threatening to sanction those companies if they don't sort out the mess they appear to have created. Of course there are opportunists everywhere pointing fingers. Carthago delenda est indeed.

who is it that is authorizing imports/exports? hint: it's not YPF, Shell, etc.
Yes, I believe the government authorized USD 400 million to import fuel and cover the extra demand (15% more than last year, apparently).

"La Argentina, según la Agencia Internacional de Energía, tiene un subsidio del 26% sobre el costo de los combustibles fósiles, muy por debajo de los subsidios de los mayores productores, donde llega a superar el 80% del precio, pero por encima de muchos otros, como Perú, Colombia o México".

It could be better, but it doesn't seem to be a really big ticket item. I believe the end consumers are responsible for less than 20% of the cost, the rest is made up of private companies, transport and agriculture, I'd guess.

You didn't mention it, but fuel imports and refining are not in the hands of the government, that's why Massa is threatening to sanction those companies if they don't sort out the mess they appear to have created. Of course there are opportunists everywhere pointing fingers. Carthago delenda est indeed.

they are not coming from uruguay, paraguay, bolivia and chile for a savings of just 26%.

Back