Argentines will become Future Expats?

nikad

Registered
I was just wondering what Expat/Argentine couples plan for their future: if you moved to Argentina for your loved one, do you plan on living here forever? Are you taking turns, ie, living X amount of years here and X amount of years in your country? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

My husband moved here from the US 6 years ago, he left family and friends behind, he always says he would like to move back eventually ( no definite plans though ) and I for one think it would only be fair to do so.

The question is: People that marry Expats or have an Expat partner will end up becoming an Expat themselves?

nik

We both plan to be expats together. I came here over 2 years ago to be with my partner. He only has a tourist visa for the USA, I have the same here but Argentina is more lenient about the length of stay. So, we're submitting an application to immigrate to Australia because neither the USA nor Argentina will have us together due to immigration inequality for permanent partners. Given the choice though, we'd probably go to the USA to live permanently.

I have no real plan for anything. I never have... which is part of why I'm here.

I guess I'll probably die someday and I won't have to worry about my plan after that. Until then... no se.

I'm here for my partner, mainly because we met here so I just stayed. On top of which he speaks no English (although is now learning!) and that would make opportunities in my native Australia rather limited.
I am legal here. I have a job with a local company, a CUIL and am in the process of organising my DNI, albeit the temporary version.
I think we will go to Australia one day in the next few years. I am 28 and have traveled extensively and experienced many things my boyfriend was never able to due to money and lack of opportunities. We would like our future children to have these varied experiences and opportunities as well.

Unfortunately Australia is not an easy country to emigrate to. (im sure you're already aware cujodu!) But we are setting ourselves up to be in the position that they wont be able to deny at least a spouse visa for my boyfriend.

Its a big decision when children are involved. Its very hard for all of the family involved, especially grandparents!
For now, i'm very happy here, but would like to settle in Australia eventually.

I arrived over two years ago from the States and never expected I'd still be here today. Yes, the porteño boyfriend (now formally fiancé) has an awful lot to do with it, but I couldn't stay here if I didn't personally like the city. He has no real desire to go live in the US. We both feel that our life together here is richer (in many different ways) than it would be in the States together. It hasn't been the easiest thing for me to commit to the country...to mentally wrap my mind around being here "forever." But nothing is forever. And things are only getting better. The wedding is planned for next March here in BA, and we plan on staying put here for now.

nikad said:
I was just wondering what Expat/Argentine couples plan for their future: if you moved to Argentina for your loved one, do you plan on living here forever? Are you taking turns, ie, living X amount of years here and X amount of years in your country? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

My husband moved here from the US 6 years ago, he left family and friends behind, he always says he would like to move back eventually ( no definite plans though ) and I for one think it would only be fair to do so.

The question is: People that marry Expats or have an Expat partner will end up becoming an Expat themselves?

nik

Absolutely! Most Argentinians who marries a foreigner do so knowing that it is his/her ticket to getting out of Argentina and moving on to the better life that they believe they will have somewhere else.

Having said that, I really enjoy the interaction that I have had with very wealthy people in Argentina (and yes, they do exist). They love Argentina, they have no desire to move from Argentina and they raise their children in Argentina with lots of opportunities. So, from what I have experienced, the need to escape from Argentina is very much connected to one's socio-economic situation.

Recoleta Carolina said:
Absolutely! Most Argentinians who marries a foreigner do so knowing that it is his/her ticket to getting out of Argentina and moving on to the better life that they believe they will have somewhere else.

Is that right? All the mixed couples I have met are married because the love each other.

Recoleta Carolina said:

Having said that, I really enjoy the interaction that I have had with very wealthy people in Argentina (and yes, they do exist). They love Argentina, they have no desire to move from Argentina and they raise their children in Argentina with lots of opportunities. So, from what I have experienced, the need to escape from Argentina is very much connected to one's socio-economic situation.

Good points. This is very true in many cases. I'm told the going rate being charged in Miami for a marriage for papers is about $20k, of course if you get caught you will have some problems. Don't know if any cash strapped expats in Argentina have married a local for cash but I wouldn't be surprised. Probably not something most people would admit to in a public forum like this.

Recoleta Carolina said:

Really? Do you know these people? Of all the binational couples I know I don't know a single one who has married for convenience. I don't know if it was your intention but it sounds condescending to say that "most" are marriages of convenience.

Back