Argentinian Debit Cards Abroad

Xeneizes

Registered
Hi,

I know this has probably been posted already but I wanted to get the most updated situation. I am planning on traveling to Uruguay and Brazil in December and my understand is I can withdrawn pesos uruguayos or reales at the official rate + 15%, or pay at restaurants with my debit card, etc for the same fee.

Is this still possible?

Thanks.

As far as I know you cannot withdraw money with your debit card but you can swipe it for spending.

People who I have talked to who have traveled abroad with Argentine debit or credit cards recently say sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. It often depends on the connection at the time between the foreign banks, the Argentine banks, and the AFIP interface for the automatic 15% charge.

You cannot withdraw funds from an Argentine peso account abroad with a debit card (I'm not even sure you can withdraw funds with an Argentine credit card anymore...which is what some people were doing to get around the ban). I heard that some people are able to make purchases abroad with their Argentine debit cards but I have not been able to with mine.

Definitely no on withdrawing funds abroad from peso account with your debit card. I don't think you can use it to purchase either or at least I haven't known of anyone having any luck. You can use your credit card but will get the 15% charge.

How strict are they with credit cards these days? Is it worth it to try to get a cash advance? I realize there's a 15% surcharge, but it's the over $300 limit that has me most worried. :p Obviously wouldn't put any electronics on there, but I wonder how strict they're going to be come the holidays/summer vacation.

Just to update everyone, I got denied applying for a credit card even though I've been here for 16 months with en blanco stable income because my company offers 1 year renewable temporary visas and you need permanent residency to get a credit card.

Just to update everyone, I got denied applying for a credit card even though I've been here for 16 months with en blanco stable income because my company offers 1 year renewable temporary visas and you need permanent residency to get a credit card.

That's odd. What bank do you have with your work where they deposit your salary? You should definitely be able to get a CC with that bank. I was on a temp work visa with my job and they had a partnership with Banco Frances, offering employees CCs with no annual fee.

Back