Argentinian foreigner's DNI as travel document?

Brazil should still require you to have a visa and pay the reciprocity fee if you're a US citizen.

I think. Now if they don't check, they don't check... but its pretty sucky the fee.

the visa requirement went away a couple years ago for US citizens.

I just met a guy here on vacation from Europe and he crossed a Mercosur land border and they didn't even ask him for any type of ID.. according to him.

1. where he crossed " border" was there's an actual Paso?;)) there are a lot of places where yes you can cross a border and will not be asked anything, there only you and they...guys bringing in lavaroppas so afip want know:)

2. In case there was "Paso international". there are some crosses where border checks ( from one of the sides most likely) are almost never being made. if you comply special conditions, for ex TFV, it's ok.
If it's not the case and you see border completely open it is your responsibility to present yourself for the check. If you dont -its later can be considered illegal entry, ignorance of the law does not excuse one from liability later.

I came into Uruguay today using only my DNI. Don't know if it made a difference that I have the new type that doesn't say extranjero at the top. I went through migraciones at the port in BA.

US is not listed:) so doesn't matter what one wants to do, even if going to Argentina itself DNI shouldn't be enough, for them it's just some plastic not a travel document.

But probably can go from Paraguay to Brazil with DNI without even entering Argentina.

Like Peruvians can go to Argentina through Bolivia ( not directly from Peru) without passport

Mercosur and Mercosur Associate citizens can travel within Mercosur with only DNI

Back