Argentinian moving to U.K. on spousal visa

cbbsas

Registered
Does anyone have any experience of going through this process - would really appreciate hearing from you if you (feel free to message me directly)

Yes, altouhgh it's been 13 years since then. It was very straighforward. I am Argentine. I just emailed the embassy and told me what to bring (passport photo, etc). At the time my wife (American) had a UK work visa, so I was a dependent. But in your case if your wife is British it should be even more straightforward. I found the people I emailed at the embassy at the time to be very helpful. Hopefully they still are so encourage you to contact them.

Rules have changed and it’s now quite complicated unfortunately. I had a job offer to move back to the UK and was going through the process but ended up not taking them job.

Link below is the official guidance from the government on what documentation is needed;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigra...endix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Basically you need to provide evidence that you can financially support yourselves.
Gross earnings of over £18600 per year.

You must pass an english exam to A1 level at a certified test centre.

You must prove that the relationship is genuine the lawyers advised to include photographs of the wedding day in addition to all the other requirements.

You fill all of this in online;
https://visas-immigration.service.g...73.624239036.1598351779-1334527491.1597942640

The fee is £1523 plus £500 NHS surcharge so you can use the health service.

Then you wait to see if it is approved, If approved they will give you 2 1/2 years visa. You can then reapply for another 2 1/2 years, after 5 years you can apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’ which is like permanent residence in Argentina.

Thank you Ronnie, seriously helpful!

For anyone else reading this I just want to note that savings to the tune of £18,600 is also sufficient (you must have the money in an easy access bank account for 6 months prior to applying; and it can be either joint money between you both, or just from one of you).

My main concerns stem around proving that we have cohabited for two years prior to applying. We will need 6 formal letters addressed to us, over the course of those two years, but I haven't been able to receive any mail here and due to practicalities we live in an airbnb. I fear that airbnb records are not going to be hard enough documentation for the government, if they are feeling strict.

Also wondering at what point an Argentinian is legally allowed to work in the UK (upon approval of the spousal visa).

To be honest with you I would imagine if you are trying to come in under the cohabiting category you would need some pretty water tight evidence. I have no personal experience of this but knowing that British civil servants can be rather officious what you’re saying might be rather problematic.

The obvious solution would be to get engaged and marry in the Uk within 6 months... or get married in Argentina.

Regarding working I understand that as soon as they receive the spousal visa you will be able to work. Will need to get a national insurance number and then you can work as far as I know.

I believe we'd have to get married in the UK for it to be recognised by UK law (I am not yet 100% sure that's correct). So we would basically be better to go on holiday to the UK and marry there before we apply... I think.

You can be married in Argentina, I married my wife in Argentina and the lawyer advised that this was not an issue. You may have to get more documents translated and legalised but other than that it is recognised.

1. 26. Marriages, civil partnerships or evidence of divorce or dissolution from outside the UK must be evidenced by a reasonable equivalent to the evidence detailed in paragraphs 22 to 25, valid under the law in force in the relevant country.

Last edited:
I am in the process of marrying my Argentine partner here (UK,end of sept) it has been fairly straight forward so far.

For anyone else reading this I just want to note that savings to the tune of £18,600 is also sufficient (you must have the money in an easy access bank account for 6 months prior to applying; and it can be either joint money between you both, or just from one of you).
That's interesting – I always thought it was more like £60,000 in savings or something close to that amount?

Back