Arrival date flexibility of tourist visas

xPat

Registered
I'm hoping someone here can help me understand the workings of Argentine tourist visas. Unfortunately, I'll need one to enter Argentina as my country is not on the visa-free entry list.

Our exact arrival date is still up in the air, but we need to get the visa issued ASAP because we will soon be leaving home (where the Argentine consulate is conveniently located) on an extended trip. We won't actually get to Argentina for several months, after visiting several other countries first. That's why the arrival date is a bit uncertain.

I'm tempted to just pick the EARLIEST date we might arrive and put that on the application form, figuring they will issue a 3-month visa starting on that date, and if we end up arriving two weeks later, no big deal - we still have 10 weeks remaining on the original 3-month visa to enjoy Argentina.

But I know such a plan would never work in Europe, for example, where Shengen visas are issued with a valid arrival date, and if you arrive more than two days after that date, the visa becomes null and void.

Does anyone know how it works with Argentine tourist visas? If I get one for a given date, then end up arriving as much as a few weeks later than I originally told them, will the visa still work or will I have to go to an Argentine consulate to get a new one?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

xPat

you can arrive anytime within the validity of your Argentine visa. The day you arrive, you will be granted a 3 month stay.

xPat said:
Our exact arrival date is still up in the air, but we need to get the visa issued ASAP because we will soon be leaving home (where the Argentine consulate is conveniently located) on an extended trip. We won't actually get to Argentina for several months, after visiting several other countries first. That's why the arrival date is a bit uncertain.

Contact the Argentine Consulate and they'll email you exact visa requirements for your country. Most likely you will need a valid roundtrip ticket and a confirmed place to stay for the entire length of your trip (paid hotel reservation, or temporary apt lease, or notarized invitation from a local person if you plan to stay at his place). So, I doubt you have as much flexibility as you believe.

They put a stamp with a starting date into your passport. Tourist visa duration is defined at the airport on arrival and depends on the mood of immigration officer. If your return ticket is within a month, probably you will get a visa for a month.

Thanks Giliani, that was the info I needed.

Best,
xPat

Back