Arrive in BA in December-Questions

"Mitscherman" said:
Where to live outside the city? I would recommend Tigre or just about any town along the train route from Retiro to Tigre for access to transportation without a car. Or you could choose to live along one of the major arteries leading into the city, thereby allowing you access to buses serving the city. (San Isidro for example).
Many people commute to the city from as far away as Zarate, San Pedro, Campana, Escobar, and Pilar. There are private shuttles (vans) which will pick you up and drop you off at predetermined locations. I lived in Maschwitz for 10 months and recently moved to Tigre. Although I own a car, my preferred commute to the city (2-3 days a week) is using a combination of any/all the methods listed above.
If you want to escape the confines of Buenos Aires (provincia) I recommend you check out Mendoza or Missiones. Beautiful and affordable!
And you think zona norte is cheaper?
The other zones are cheaper but that is for a reason

"Granadaiscool" said:
Where to live outside the city? I would recommend Tigre or just about any town along the train route from Retiro to Tigre for access to transportation without a car. Or you could choose to live along one of the major arteries leading into the city, thereby allowing you access to buses serving the city. (San Isidro for example).
Many people commute to the city from as far away as Zarate, San Pedro, Campana, Escobar, and Pilar. There are private shuttles (vans) which will pick you up and drop you off at predetermined locations. I lived in Maschwitz for 10 months and recently moved to Tigre. Although I own a car, my preferred commute to the city (2-3 days a week) is using a combination of any/all the methods listed above.
If you want to escape the confines of Buenos Aires (provincia) I recommend you check out Mendoza or Missiones. Beautiful and affordable!

And you think zona norte is cheaper?
The other zones are cheaper but that is for a reason
Granada is Cool: Granada, Spain. What a wonderful place to visit and live. Mountains, snow, sea, and great tapas! Tell me, why should I go through the trouble to provide you all the information you ask for, what will it change for you? Nothing! Yes, Zona Norte is cheaper! Having recently sold my home in Maschwitz and spent about a month searching for a new place to live, I know my facts are true as do 90% of the people who have taken the time to investigate and/or experience life outside the city. My original idea was to live closer to the city to reduce commuting time. The closer to the city I move, the more expensive the cost. We're talking property, fruits and vegetables, meat, etc... And because I "live" in Zona Norte, I visit the places I recommend quite often.
If you want luxuries like cable or DirectTV, price will not change much but the money you save in rent/mortgage as well as daily substance allows these luxuries with less stress on the budget.
You are not an invalid. I have led you to the water, it is up to you to drink.Oh, the memories of Grenada, Spain, yes Granada Spain is Cool!

IM is about 50/60 km from Capital. If you would still call that Zona norte it's up to you, but offcourse it's to far away to be an serious option for most people.
Don Turquato, San Miguel, Polvorinos, Villa de Mayo, etc is still pretty cheap and in general safe. But its about an hour and an half from Capital with public transport.
The places in Zona norte where normal foreigners want to live are not cheaper then capital.

50-60 kilometers is less than 37 miles and while the commute may take anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour by bus or train, millions of people commute this distance/time (and more) in other 'civilized' countries such as the USA and England. And they do it driving in a parking lot called 'rush hour' traffic.
On the other hand, if I lived in Palermo or Belgrano and relied on the bus or Subte to get to and from San Telmo, how long would that take me? I know a friend who spends anywhere between 20-45 minutes during their public commute.
While living on the island of Crete, I chose to live away from the
city/town where I worked (Chania) and the commute on mountain roads was roughly 30 minutes each way. Chump change for LA or San Diego. And I can
remember locals telling me I was crazy to commute so far.Guess everything is relative!

I lived in Ing. Maschwitz for 10 months (further than the places you listed). Commuted most days by bus and/or train. Including connections, travel to Retiro by train was 1.5 hours and travel to Plaza Italia by bus (#60) was usually one hour or less. On the occasion I decided to drive, my commute was anywhere between 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic (I initially planed for an hour and was surprised every time). The train from Tigre to Retiro is roughly 57 minutes. I've timed it many times ;-) A great opportunity to rest/unwind and/or read the newspaper or a book.So please stop discouraging visitors to this great country from residing outside the city.

"Granadaiscool" said:
The places in Zona norte where normal foreigners want to live are not cheaper then capital.
Hey Granada is Cool, What is your definition of "normal"?In most countries, living outside the capital city and in the suburbs IS normal.

dear 3fromoz
here |I go again and the "live an let live brigade" will be on my case but who cares!
It just has to be said
I do hope that you do make some solid plans for accomadation before you get to Buenos Aires. Do you plan on dragging baby around hostels?
I also suggest that you also get a good health plan in place as soon as you arrive.
December is hot and humid and can be fatal for a very young child without adequate care. Travelling with a very young child anywhere is difficult. travelling with a young child on some kind of missionary run in South America without plans, accomadation and income is cruel and pretty irresponsible parenting.
Maybe your priority should be to make solid plans for your own baby before you decide to try to save the "orphans".
Oh and make sure baby is up to date on his hepatitis jabs before you introduce him to the villa.
Just out of curiosity, how good is your Spanish?

"Mitscherman" said:

Hey Granada is Cool,
What is your definition of "normal"?
In most countries, living outside the capital city and in the suburbs IS normal.
Normal would be where most people live, but you yoursel wants to move closer to capital, so there must be something wrong with IM
And it´s not normal in most countries to live about an hour and a half from the capital if you can afford to live in the Capital
IM is ok if you are retired, you dont need to go to Cap every day, have kids, like the silence, etcetera. Most does not apply for most foreigners.

"And it´s not normal in most countries to live about an hour and a half from the capital if you can afford to live in the Capital"
actually Granada that is not the case here for london. The wealthy prefer to live in smart green spaces and drive or be driven into town. That way they can enjoy the calm and tranquility. Just go to any mainline train station or get your ass on the M25 and M4 at rush hour each day and then you will see for yourself. Most of the big earners with families live out of town. In what is know as the green belt. Tranquility and beauty comes at a cost. A 50 minute drive is well worth the pleasure! (well depending on traffic jams) Villages such as Sunningdale and Ascot are a couple of the most desirable and expensive places to live in England (property costs) . It is here one has the best golf clubs, (Wentworth and Sunningdale golf clubs) health spas (Pennyhill park) and polo clubs (Guard's Polo Club) in the world. Lets no forget Ascot racecourse. So your theory that one lives in the city if you one afford it is untrue. On the contrary, the ideal is a pad in town for thoses early meetings and one's home in the outskirts.

Granada - have you ever been to Maschwitz? It's actually quite nice & there are a large number of people who live there who commute into the city. Many of the gated communities out there are filled with people who want peace & quiet but work in the city. And your quote about "it's not normal in most countries to live an hour and a half from the capital if you can afford to live there" is certainly 100% incorrect for New York City as well. Similar reasons to what autntieapple posted. And back to the original poster - I have to agree with auntieapple. I would think if you're traveling with a newborn, you need to have a lot more of a plan than just arriving & checking thing out. Do you have health insurance? How are you going to pay for rent? Work here is difficult to find for foreigners..

Back