Ash cloud and flying

all east coast airports shut in australia the other day due to volcanic ash.. still no flights to and from aust/new zealand.. flights to joberg disrupted as well as cancelled flights/alternate routes from sydney to buenos aires.. crazy time...

But the problem so far is in Australia?

Does anybody any info on how the situation is in EZE or a website with good info, other then the regular news feeds?

The regular news feed today says that the ash could be returning to BA. They'll be meeting later this evening to discuss what to do. But it seems to change every other day, unfortunately.
Sorry I can't help with a website.

Sorry, some flights to south of Argentina have already been cancelled today, so looks like wind is shifting yet again.

Fingers crossed that things settle down in the next few days.

Barney said:
Any updates?

Prolly buying tommorow

My husband's in Mexico right now, was supposed to leave there tonight but client moved meeting to monday. We're gambling big and assuming he'll make it home by Tues midday -- our baby is due on Saturday so he better!! (and baby better not get the idea of coming early...)

Anyway when he changed his ticket he talked to the agents for awhile and they said that "at this time" they're not forecasting a change in the winds, so while there are still cancellations it's supposed to be only for southern flights (ie Calafate, Bahia blanca etc)

I went to Ezeiza today at 5 p.m. for my flight to Houston. Before I left the web site said all was on time. When I got there it was listed as delayed until 8 tomorrow morning, as were many other flights there. The airport was really crowded and a good place to avoid, so I returned to the city and will see how things are going around 4 tomorrow morning. I have had really bad luck with flights but at least I am safe on the ground, and have a place to sleep that is better than the floor of an airport.

All flights out of Ezeiza tonight cancelled due to ash. They are hopeful for tomorrow, but who knows? Just changed a cancelled American Airlines flight on the phone (in the US). I imagine the airport is insanity.

I have a meeting in Europe wednesday afternoon that's pretty important, so the last day I can fly is probally monday. I was supposed to buy my ticket tommorow for monday, but what should I do?

Right now I am leaning a bit more to just show up on monday 3 hours before the flight and see if there is room. If the flight is not on, I just return to my appartment and check for a flight later in the week/weekend.

Any advice is welcome :)

Back