At home in Argentina?

malbec

Registered
Does anyone on this forum feel Argentina is 'home'? Or someone who is happy to come back after spending some time abroad?
Or even someone who feels argentino? Or would like to become one soon? or wouldn't mind settling in Argentina for good?
Other than the Argentinos, I mean.

I'm happy to come back to Argentina after I travel and it is the closest thing I have to home. And while I don't know if I will be here forever, I'm certainly here for the forseeable future. And yes, I feel like I'm part of it here - I'm not here as a tourist but as someone who lives here, works here, etc. Do I feel Argentine? No, I don't know that I ever will.

citygirl said:
I'm happy to come back to Argentina after I travel and it is the closest thing I have to home. And while I don't know if I will be here forever, I'm certainly here for the forseeable future. And yes, I feel like I'm part of it here - I'm not here as a tourist but as someone who lives here, works here, etc. Do I feel Argentine? No, I don't know that I ever will.
I totally agree with you Citygirl-I feel at home here after 5 years.I,ve never felt homesick at all.hope I never will neither:rolleyes:

I also feel at home here, despite all of the challenges that can and do arise regularly, the last time I went back to the US I felt a bit out of place.

I definitely don´t feel like I am Argentine...but when I hang out with large groups of Foreigners, I sometimes feel less like them than Argentines -- I guess it has to do with being adapted somewhat to Argentine cultures, having more of a "es lo que hay" view, and being a bit more flexible and easygoing about daily life here. This isn´t to say I don´t ever complain about things here....

The same is true when I go back to the States and I spend time with old friends and I feel like I have changed and that I don´t have the same things in common with them as I once did, or rather, the things that they value and think are very important I don´t care as much as I used to. I think this is a general feeling among people that are living outside of their country/culture, perhaps reverse culture shock would be a way to think about it. . . .

I really feel at home here. Going back to my 'home' country does not make me feel weird or sad, but it doesn't feel like 'home' anymore. I feel like I have changed a lot and don't care for the same things as they do there. (that does not mean that I don't like going back). Here we are more back to 'basics' where family and friendship are more important over material things and having to 'be like the rest'. Here friends always make time for you, no matter what.

I have no regrets about moving here and am always happy when I am flying 'home' (Argentina). I feel as if it's always been like that...

We are staying here for 4 years at least, the time my youngest needs to finish colegio, but right now I already know that if it were up to us, we will stay longer, or even forever.... unless something unforeseen and very serious happens. Yes we always have a choice. (we are lucky)

I have been living in Argentina for 5 years, 2 in BA and the last 3 in Bariloche. Bariloche is the only place in the world that feels like home - apart from my parents home in the UK where I grew up. I see a long term future in Argentina and perhaps only move back to the UK to retire in many years time for better healthcare and security.

I go back to the UK about once a year for up to a month and it feels more like a holiday there, then the time I spend here in Argentina.

I'm a Permanent resident which does of course make life slightly easier in Argentina. I don't feel like a local. I have foreign as well as local friends but still (and will always continue to) sound like a foreigner when I open my mouth.

I think you have to go back to your home country for an extended stay each year or you lose touch and become weird. No matter how long you stay here you are not going to be considered Argentine. You´re always going to be different and treated accordingly - unless you have fabulous language skills and perfect the language and physically LOOK Argentine....

It took me many years to feel at home in Buenos Aires . Understanding this most complicated culture does take time .
I believe that there are great opportunities but only in a very select business strategy that does not allow you to employ many people. Inefficiency and lack of long term planning is a great frustation for me but this is tempered with the free spirited lifestyle that allows for personal growth.

Buenos Aires is a creative city with a energy that oscillates between exhiliration and melancholy. I have seen and felt all its moods and do not desire another . For me this is home for all the good and the bad.

No matter how long you stay here you are not going to be considered Argentine. You´re always going to be different and treated accordingly - unless you have fabulous language skills and perfect the language and physically LOOK Argentine....
I disagree. Argentina is -still - a country of inmigrants. Many of us have (or had) funny speaking grandparents or parents. My opinion is that it is up to you. One needs to do something to be accepted too and not wait until people knock on the door and ask if one wants to be treated like a local.

Thank you all for your comments.

Back