ATM withdrawals/fees, again

citygirl - you do not need a DNI for a bank account.
You need a CDI from your local AFJP office - its a simple form and you need the police to verify your address - really simple.
search the forums for CDI or bank accounts - or read stevebsas posts - he seems to have done it all by himself successfully - I have followed his experiences and it all seems to work out so far.

back to the thread - my bank told me that there was so much fraud in south america they are putting a hold on the number of consecutive transactions to 3 and the amount is limited to USD$100 in addition. That is unless you request a 'anti-refferal' from the bank.
everybody it seems has a different story.

"citygirl" said:
So when you said that you could open a bank account without a DNI, what were you talking about?
And yes, you may very well get lucky in carrying 9999 in cash in & having no problems. Personally, I'm not that trusting in luck.
I did not say that. It´s not luck if you are not robbed

CABJ - why do I feel like we are talking in circles?

You said: "Why would anybody want an DNI?"
RWS replied "to get a bank account" and you replied: "You can get it without.." Which seems that you were clearly stating that you can do it without a DNI. *shrug* whatever - just not understanding you. Fishface - interesting. I did try to go to open a Citibank account here & they very emphatically told me I needed a DNI. Maybe it's b/c it was Citibank? My friend also had a problem with HSBC. (Although I believe the problem there wasn't the opening of the account, he just couldn't transfer money into his account from overseas without the DNI). Will try it again - thanks.

yes, went into the bank with the original CDI and passport and opened an account - simple - should have been more difficult?
I did NOT need a DNI to open a bank account.
All these 'tramites' seem simple CDI and DNI - *one meets the criteria* and presents the required documentation in copy and original and wait for the result. You would have to be really lazy or a chump to pay a lawyer to do it.
all this whaling and bleating on about lawyers, 1 year wait and such seems a bit far fetched.

[
At the risk of having one of you call me insane or something else. i will say this just once more.
You cannot open an account without a DNI. But first you must obtain a CUIL. You can get this in about 2 hours or so at the Ministerio de Trabajo.

I ought to know I just did it and now have two bank accounts here in Argentina. I now can transfer money from my home account for a fee of 6 pesos per thousand.
I also can travel at the same rate the argentines pay for air travel as I have a DNI.
Many of us come here for one reason or another. Why not do the right thing and make your lives easier.
And finally one more time . You can get your DNI in 40 days by calling this person.
Gabriel Celano at 4342 9433 or walk over to his office at 634 Belgrano , 2nd floor A y B or call his cell at 15 440 9278.
Now if anyone out there tells you this is wrong you can tell them to put up or shut up. This is a fact because he did it for me. Also fishface knows now this is the truth.

So why dont we all leave the business of running country down or even attempting to show them how to do it better, enjoy what we have and for how long god will permit and go out and get the legal documents. Life with them is so much easier.
I can attest to that.
my best regards to all of you.
jedard

quote="citygirl"]Interesting.  I was originally told I could open one with just a passport but then couldn't find any banks that actually would do that.  *shrug*
Right now I wouldn't keep my money in an Argentine bank as I'm not particularly trusting of the economic situation there but if you do find one that will let you open one, let me know.  It would be nice just to transfer some spending money to it.
And I guess it's time for me to start the DNI process when I get back...
[/quote]

Here's the link to Charles Schwab to get the fee free ATM card. Shttps://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking

It is necessary to open a Schwab One brokerage account as well, but no investment is required and there are no fees. The funds deposited into the checking account are FDIC insured to 100K. I opened an account on line with no trouble.

"soulskier" said:
A high interest checking, connected to a investor account. No mention of needing to maintain a balance in the investor account.
Soulskier
Any update on the Schwab account. Did you open it and does it preform as you expected? Thanks

Ghost, give me about a week and a half. I opened my account and my card is coming with a visitor, once I get it, I will try. suerte!

Soulskier
Thanks. Can you drop me a note after you take it for a test drive?
THX
Ghost

Back