ATM withdrawals/fees, again

With 10k in dollars you can rent about any appartment in BA for one year. So that would leave you with only your daily expenses, if they limit is 300 peso you need to go every 2,3 days to an ATM.
Big deal

Nah, its a pain and difficult to get around. I came here without realising I was going to have to pay out large sums in advance and could only pay with cash, and it can be very frustrating. Easiest way around the cash point limit is to buy dollars with a credit or debit card if you need large amounts of cash.

Or go to an exchange-house and ask how you can transfer money to Argentina

Hi, I'm moving to BA in a month and I'm trying to figure out what to do about a bank while there. I've learned that I can't open a bank account in BA without a DNI, but I can't deposit money into a US account either. For those of you who work in Argentina, what do you do? Do your jobs usually pay in cash, or paychecks, and what do you do about bank accounts? I'm not sure if this has already been asked, so I apologize if this is a repeat question. Gracias!
-Katie

Katie, if you're moving to Buenos Aires, not simply visiting the city, why not apply for a DNI? While waiting for it, you can withdraw from your bank accounts in other countries (not just in the States) or live on the cash you bring with you.

"RWS" said:
Katie, if you're moving to Buenos Aires, not simply visiting the city, why not apply for a DNI? While waiting for it, you can withdraw from your bank accounts in other countries (not just in the States) or live on the cash you bring with you.
I was under the impression that I have to wait 2 years to apply for a DNI. I'm not planning on staying past two years, so it doesn't really make sense for me, unless that's not true. My concern is less about withdrawing money and more about being able to deposit into an account because I'll be working.

Quoting "Katie": "I was under the impression that I have to wait 2 years to apply for a DNI."
I think there's no such legal constraint; indeed, if you work in Argentina, you may be obliged to obtain a DNI -- doing otherwise may violate law. Either a search of this forum or a quick consultation with an Argentine lawyer (probably the only completely reliable source) would tell you more, though.
Quoting "Katie": "My concern is less about withdrawing money and more about being able to deposit into an account because I'll be working."
In that case, why not simply deposit your earnings into one of your existing accounts? If your employer is willing to make electronic transfers, you may save substantially any conversion charges otherwise levied.

"Katie" said:
My concern is less about withdrawing money and more about being able to deposit into an account because I'll be working.

Also if your employer pays you by a check from his bank account, you can just go to any branch of this bank with your passport and cash the check. You don't have to be a client of the bank.

Back