Atm Withdrawals, Schwab Cards And The New Exchange Rate...

When I used to get money out of cash machines, at least 4 if not 5 or 6 years ago the last time, since 2006 when I came here, the ATMs always had an option to withdraw in dollars. As I understood it, you had to have a local account in dollars to get dollars. I was never able to get dollars out of an ATM then and never knew anyone who could.

I think it might be the case that the ATMs in Argentina only gave out dollars when the peso was pegged to the dollar at the rate of one to one. At that rate it wouldn't have mattered which currency was dispensed.

I haven't read this anywhere. It's just my theory.
emo32.gif

Hi!! Has anybody beeb able to use the Direct Express Card at an A T M? It's the social security benefits card. If anyone can tell me where I can find an ATM that accepts the card I would be very grateful!!

I was here during the entire "one to one" and I never got U$D out of an ATM in Argentina.You got them over the counter in a bank and I had a dollar account and still do.
Moreover, I never had any problem making U$D withdrawals except diuring the " corralito" when they were limited to U$D 200 per time I did loose some $300 dollars in the "pesification" though.
During the military gov't.'s "crawling peg" - "la tablita". 1976-1983 U$D were readily available in exchange houses and "cuevas"·.
Cuevas have always existed since I came in 1979.I also remember them from visits in the 1960s.

Has anyone tried or succeeded getting more than 2000 pesos yet?
2500 pesos has been so far the maximum I was able to withdraw with an non-argentinian debit card (at a Citibank/Banelco ATM).

2500 pesos has been so far the maximum I was able to withdraw with an non-argentinian debit card (at a Citibank/Banelco ATM).

I have not been able to withdraw more than 1500 pesos and at a Citi ATM, not Banelco, only once, they will not give you the same amount more than once during the same day. I wonder where you obtained 2500 pesos.....you were lucky. Approx. 70 pesos is charged locally.

I have not been able to withdraw more than 1500 pesos and at a Citi ATM, not Banelco, only once, they will not give you the same amount more than once during the same day. I wonder where you obtained 2500 pesos.....you were lucky. Approx. 70 pesos is charged locally.

Not sure I understand your comment about "Citi ATM, not Banelco"?

By the way I was able to withdraw 2000 from Galicia (Banelco) today. This time with my Schwab card.

Not sure I understand your comment about "Citi ATM, not Banelco"?

By the way I was able to withdraw 2000 from Galicia (Banelco) today. This time with my Schwab card.

Means special ATM terminal for Citi clientes international

Also Galicia es BBVA ??

I tried several Banelco ATMs with no luck - with my US bank debit cards - still getting the same sign stating that my cards cannot be used in those machines. At a Citibank ATM I was able to withdraw 2000 pesos, 89 pesos transaction fee. My US banks stated that they have no idea why Banelco is not accepting their debit cards. I have not tried any other local bank other than Citi machines, but - I repeat - Banelco is not accepting US bank debit cards for the moment. Has anyone been able to withdraw from a Banelco ATM with their foreign debit card? Will appreciate replies, thanks.

Back