Atm Withdrawals With Usa Debit Cards In Uruguay

Silvie

Registered
I wonder if anybody has experienced lately any inconveniences trying to withdraw money from US bank accounts in Uruguay. I'm asking this because I tried to place a travel notification with a famous American bank and I am getting a message saying "the address you entered is in a country (Uruguay) the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets and Controls has issued sanctions against. U.S. Financial institutions are prohibited from conducting business with that country". I called them up and they confirmed over the phone that there is some problem with Uruguay.
This is something new to me and totally unexpected. Has anyone tried using USA ATM cards recently in that particular country?
I'm really puzzled.

Very interesting. The bank gave you their answer. Doesn't seem that there are any options to get U.S. money in Uruguay. Pay Pal might be the best way?

Thats why its important not to put all your eggs one basket but to bank in more than country preferably different continents.

Did you consider opening yr own account in a bank in UY?

I don't see how this may be really useful, but I tried searching for info on this topic, myself, just now.

I went directly to the OFAC site (as it's abbreviated) using the following website:

Logo.png

I was able to locate 3 entitites, which do appear to be located in Uruguay - with just the search terms: 'ALL' and 'URUGUAY' . . .

CIFUENTES VILLA, Hector Mario c/o C.I. OKCOFFEE COLOMBIA S.A. Individual SDNTK SDN GENETICA DEL SUR S.A. Padron 15001 S. Judicial 9 y 10 Seccion Catastral - Paraje Retamosa Entity SDNTK SDN GRUPO WISA, S.A. Calle 15 entre Avenida Santa Isabel y Avenida Roosevelt, Zona Libre de Colon Entity SDNTK SDN

I venture that I may not have done this search as well as possible...

Personally, I am unaware of any issues which would affect such things... UNLESS some issues with the 'Gitmo 6' have stimulated discussion up north ?

Frankly, that's NOT a well-reasoned observation of mine, just there, though: That was an agreement between governments...

HMMM...

Paul

Thats why its important not to put all your eggs one basket but to bank in more than country preferably different continents.

I agree. I already have an account but I can't depend on that.

Thank you, Paul. I looked it up on the web to but I couldn't come up with anything. May be the problem is specific to JPMorgan Chase in UY.

I have already done that. I agree with you.

I'd like to know what the advantage is of having a bank account in Uruguay? isn't the withdrawal limit US$!,000.00 per day? What are the ATM fees?
Almost forgot..........What will it cost to go to Colonia to get your money? How often will you have to go?

Having a dollar Bank Account in Uruguay allows you to withdraw, by teller window, every single dollar you have wire transferred there.

ATM fees are US$6 per US$300 withdrawal the ATM limit is set by your CC daily max.

For Colonia Ferry rates check with Seacat.com

Back