Australian tv work here?

austgirl

Registered
hi can i buy a new australian lcd tv and will it work here? the electrical cord is the same...

Yes and no.

For analog broadcasts, Australia uses PAL-B/G and Argentina uses PAL-N. Basically no TVs sold outside of Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay support PAL-N. What this means that if you want to watch the analog signal here from an antenna, you will see the picture only in black and white.

For digital over-the-air broadcasts (TDA), Argentina uses ISDB-T, which is only used here and in Brazil. Nothing is compatible with it, not even TVs sold in Argentina, you'll need a set top box to use it, and it will display fine on an Australian TV.

For digital cable & satellite, these are broadcast in NTSC-M, like in the US. Pretty much all modern LCD/plasma TVs sold in PAL countries like Australia also support NTSC-M. For HD services, it's over HDMI and all HDMI is created equal.

Basically if you don't care about the analog over-the-air signal, just make sure you get a TV that also supports NTSC.

Australian and Argentinian plugs are very similar but wired differently. The live and neutral contacts are reversed. But for reasons beyond me :confused:, this is usually not a problem with many of today's electronics.

2GuysInPM said:
Australian and Argentinian plugs are very similar but wired differently. The live and neutral contacts are reversed. But for reasons beyond me :confused:, this is usually not a problem with many of today's electronics.

Reversed live and neutral don't have any damaging effect on appliances. The risk is a safety one -- there are two really common ones, the biggest is old metal light bulb receptacles. The live should be wired to the inside bottom of the fitting and the neutral is wired to the outside of the metal socket. If you touch the metal socket with reversed polarity, you will get 220V.

The other are things like toasters, when you turn them off without unplugging them, you cut the connection on the live wire. So, when it's reversed, and you go fishing for your burnt toast with a metal fork and touch the element, you'll get shocked.

For sealed modern electrical and electronic appliances, it's not an issue.

Back