Avoiding Foreign Transaction Fees

The pin normally isn't! What happens is a machine(camera) that has been covertly attached gets your PIN numbers as you enter them...usually happens at ATMS.

Recently my US cc was compromised. Someone tried to use it to buy baby clothes on a online store in Madrid. Luckily, the transaction did not go thru.

I think my card was compromised by front desk of a hotel who took my credit card details as a back up for my expenditures.

my new credit card arrived at my home in BA from my US bank, in about 10 days

For debit card purchases you do not need to input your PIN here in most places. I use my debit card all the time and have not had to input a PIN in years (outside of the ATM).

I have also started catching some places that are becoming lax with asking for ID with CCs and DCs and it annoys me. I understand not even looking at it/giving it back to me at places I am a regular (I hand it in with the card, always, so they never really have to ask), but I have had a couple of places that will just give it back without looking at the info (it is obvious when all they really do is validate "i am being handed a card and an id - SECURITY CHECK COMPLETE"). I am surprised a mall would do that, tho. It was probably a busy day (which is no excuse, obviously), but also, wouldn't that mean there is security footage? I hope you have been able to file a complain at the mall store(s), because while they are not responsible for your card being stolen, they most certainly are responsible for failing to follow the correct steps to prevent people from using stolen CCs in their stores.

Its foolhardy to use debit and credit card in a place like buenos aires where the red buck..the peso billette prevails!

I have never in my life heard the exp<b></b>ression "red buck". Googled it, but I don't think I found what you meant (some pretty ladies came up in google images, tho, will give you that).

I'd rather not use credit cards except for specific expenses (20% off my Coto digital purchases!) but this is because I was once an irresponsible 20 year old who lost track of her expenses and now, a decade later, I would rather not even give myself the chance to make the same mistake, tbh.

I prefer using the debit card to actual cash because it is more convenient than having to stop by an ATM (since I track my account status online anyways), but I admit that for when going out I'd rather just take cash, too many stories about people mugged and then held at gunpoint at an ATM so they can take out as much cash as possible. Although, to be honest, ever since moving out of my home town which is particularly crime ladden (Remedios de Escalada in Lanus, for anyone curious), this is something I do not fear as much as I used to.

Let's be real tho... spending money in Argentina is probably the first of our mistakes! But alas, we don't have much choice.

'Red buck' was a term created by me today in honor of the much in demand, Argentine Peso.

Ceviche, 23rd March, 2015

As far as an American card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, you should look into getting yourself a Capital One credit card. Outside of Argentina, it's an incredibly useful card to have. ZERO foreign transaction fees. It's like using it at home.

Back