Avoiding 2 Year Apartment Terms

rwvaughn

Registered
New here, so early apologies. We are a family of 5 (3 young kids), looking to move to BA or Cordoba in 6 months for a family sabbatical, staying for about a year. We're familiar with some of the requirements for a long-term rental (2 yrs, guarantee, etc). Why could we not just rent a furnished place month by month, simply extending as we go? What am I missing? Thanks.

The type of contract is different as per the Law's rights and obligations. A long term contract will be a lot cheaper but with greater initial demands by the owner.

Extending a weekly, monthly or 6 months lease is fine.

Good luch and welcome.

The only issue you may have is that temporary, furnished apartments may be rented out into the future. Where now, and next month the apartment may be available, someone may have it booked in three months, or four, etc. So the problem would be finding an apartment without any advanced bookings for the next year. However, even then, someone may be happy to have a solid year of occupancy and cancel the other bookings in your favor.

I'm sure they can be found. Also, my direct experience with renting temp apartments comes from about 5 years ago when the tourist business was a lot more busy and apartments booked very often. Now it might not be as bad. However, I know two different people who manage apartments for short-term rentals (one of them an ass and I would never recommend him - an experience renting through his company was posted here some months ago and I believe every word of what was posted) and they seem to be busy, I just don't know what the status of each individual apartment they rent out is.

The only thing if you can't get one apartment for the full term you're here is moving from one to another when the contract is finished. A bit of a pain, but you can always find a place.

There are a lot of people as well that advertise 6 or 12 month rentals for their place. I saw one on this forum a week or two ago (though the price was steep - it was a luxury place and looked great!).

BTW - a possible issue you may run into is that the law for temporary apartments (and the rights that it gives the OWNERS, unlike 2 year contracts, to kick people out easier on non-payment and/or other issues) is that the maximum consecutive occupancy is 6 months. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I understand that if the apartment is occupied more than 6 months consecutively by the same person, even if a short term contract was used, the rental becomes a long term contract under the law with all the rights that that gives the occupant. Some owners, therefore, may be reluctant to allow you stay for more than 6 months even if the apartment is vacant afterward. Having said that, I know there are apartments out there you could find for a longer term on a short-term contract basis.

Back