B.a.street Rage '16.

Noesdeayer

Registered
Yesterday at noontime I was walking along the local version of NYC's theatre district Corrientes near Uruguay where the cement statue of Alberto Olmedo and Javier Portales is.There are other typical areas of B.A. besides Recoleta and Palermo. Suddenly out of nowhere appears a 20 something,swarthy skined crazy (un pendejo morochito) and starts beating Olmedo's head really hard with a wooden plank trying with all his might to smash it.
Immediately,a shoeshine man knocks the crazy kid down and other vendors and assorted street people leap to support him and the memory of "El Negro" Olmedo a very popular comedian here in the 1980s especially among working people.The crazy kid beats a hasty retreat into the subte and dissappears.
It's kind of like real life in Argentina.The "well-to-do" are not concerned with a plague on the economy such as capital flight,if they have deep pockets and costly "threads".It's the man and woman in the street who have to pick up the tab with both "un and under" employment and high inflation.

Not the first time the guys have been attacked.

http://www.perfil.com/sociedad/Danaron-la-estatua-de-Alberto-Olmedo-en-calle-Corrientes-20120206-0003.html

Wow....I'm amazed that some local pedestrians and vendors got involved. Solidarity shown on city streets to victims of crime is not a characteristic of most porteños. I would hope they would equally jump to defend a statue as they would a human being.

I often frequent Av. Corrientes & Montevideo after midnight. Only area where my friends still find some cafes that will stay open until 2.00am on a Fri/Sat night. But many less than 5 years ago! There may be some restaurants and pizzerias open but we are not interested in dining. The number of druggys we encounter meandering about has grown exponentially. But I have yet to witness altercations. Whereas the bums stinking of alcohol who use to approach theater goers for change now appear to have migrated to the area of the Teatro Nacional Cervantes on Av. Cordoba & Av. Callao. There is where all types of homeless, mainly males, make their home until 6.00am to avoid the druggies on Av. Corrientes.

The kind of behavior Noesdeayer described usually goes on after 4.00am when the druggies are waking up from a "trip" and fight among themselves. Or throw rocks at the passing buses who transport people whose work day begins at the wee hours.

Pedestrians involve, where isn't much danger of a gun. I involved myself in my country, where guns are almost nonexistent, and people who own them know, where to use them. Last time I witnessed motochorros in action I aptly hide myself behind the parked truck and watched some poor bastards getting robbed. I'm not proud of myself, but anyway happy some stray bullet didn't find new home in my head... You have to be realistic about these things...

Back