Ba Secret World Of Dining By Way Of The N.y.times.

Someone had the genius idea to take this to the next level and invented CookApp, where you can be the host or the guest, your choice.
Personally I wouldn't trust disclosing my address and open my house to perfect strangers, but I don't see myself buying cookware and rent a place just to offer meals once a week, either.

You have to book before you learn the address.

I have friend who went to casa saltshakers, she said it was a good experience. She was a tourist who just arrived, and next day to a closed door restaurant, I thought she was crazy. There are so many open door places. You might run into couple of a*holes at the dinner table. Possible neither food nor the company is good. It's like an dinner version of B&B. The B&B breakfast is such a torture to me.

They don't tell you what to eat. They usually have a single tasting menu that you know in advance, and can decide whether it interests you or not. Some, such as Saltshaker, can accommodate certain dietary restrictions (full disclosure: Saltshaker chef is a personal friend, though I have always paid full price on the several times I have gone there).

I got the impression that at the time of booking they don't necessarily know what is on the menu but maybe I was wrong and you can book well in advance and know the menu.

I got the impression that at the time of booking they don't necessarily know what is on the menu but maybe I was wrong and you can book well in advance and know the menu.

They can usually give a pretty good idea of the ingredients, if not necessarily the exact preparation. Others are more precise, such as http://www.cocinasunae.com/2014/08/menu-de-cuatro-pasos-para-miercoles-3.html

And how would you get in?

I suppose the professionals know their way in. And being inside the house would give them plenty of time to find the weak points of the place, as well as to assess the house.
Anyway, that is just my thought. Would you invite complete strangers in your home?!

I suppose the professionals know their way in. And being inside the house would give them plenty of time to find the weak points of the place, as well as to assess the house.
Anyway, that is just my thought. Would you invite complete strangers in your home?!

Complete strangers who have paid in advance with their credit cards or similar transfer. My friend at Saltshaker lives in a very secure Barrio Norte building that, so far as I can see, has no weak points. He's been doing this for many years now and, to the best of my knowledge, has never had such a problem, though there's been the occasional problematic guest (as any restaurant might have).

Back