Baby Things Cost Vent

Sadly no on the good deals to be found here for baby stuff. Any chance you can go to the US to do some shopping? I'm heading there next week to stock up on everything.

How do you feel about used things? I know some people have had lots of luck stocking up on moving sales.

So many Argentines that can afford to do the trip to the USA for the baby stuff too. On the flights back you'll see tonnes of strollers / pack n plays etc

I would definitely take advantage of moving sales -- especially for things like bouncy chairs / swings / activity tables / gyms / high chairs / baby carriers etc -- these are things that you get 3 - 6 months use out of tops. And the expat sales are great because they will have items that you won't find on the local market or are better quality than the local option.

For things like breast pumps -- buy them in the USA or have someone bring one down. You can rent them from Medela Argentina (http://www.medelasml.com.ar/h_alquiler.htm) but I the cost was still very high. A single manual Avent pump here costs more than a dual electric from the states. Breast pumps are a pain in the butt investment because they don't necessarily work for everyone, it's kind of a risk that you might buy a few hundred dollars contraption that doesn't even work for you, but mine was a god send. If you're planning to breastfeed I don't know how you'd do without -- otherwise you really are attached to your baby for as long as you breastfeed -- I breastfed mine for 13 months, by the end it was just one feeding a day, but for a good while it's 6-8 feedings, then 4-6 etc and without the pump you really can't leave your kid alone with anyone else.

Speaking of which, formula here is also super expensive. We never used it, I was lucky enough to have milk. At the end we tried to get him to have some of those UHT baby milks, but he didn't like it and so he just doesn't drink milk at all now, he has yogurt / cheese / queso untable etc.

If you get a breast pump, get milk storage bags from home as well. Oh, which reminds me -- I have a bunch left over (like 50 I think!) that I got via Amazon -- Lansinoh ones, only 1 of them ever leaked. If anyone here is interested, let me know!

Whoa!! Really??? From your name I can only assume you are from New York -- school here is a BARGAIN compared to NYC. Friends of mine there are planning to move back to Vancouver by the time theirs is ready for preshool because the prices are through the roof (let's say, starting around about 15,000USD for a "decent" preschool relatively close to work / home). Here, yes, there's Lincoln (ridiculous), St Johns, Northlands etc but there are also a lot of very good quality schools that are much more reasonably priced, and don't even come anywhere near what you'd pay in New York. If you think here is ridiculously priced for private school, have a browse through some of the mummy blogs from Manhattan/Brooklyn and suddenly you'll realise you are in for a huge discount.

There are a tonne of options here for schooling, and you don't have to go jut for the top ranked ones -- and often you don't want to because frankly those children are being raised in a bubble. And look beyond what sorts of grounds they have as well, because it can be a lot cheaper to do activities off campus rather than on. And really it is not necessary for your child to be a lifer at one particular school -- I know a lot of people are into that here, but really if you think you want your child to go back to the USA for university the most important years will be high school.

If my sister-in-law can afford to send her daughter to Canada School on her salary and only gets a measly 800 pesos a month from the father, private schools are not as shockingly priced as you believe.

I wouldn't be sending my kids to private school if we still lived in NY or NYC or elsewhere in the US. Friends in Brooklyn pay through the nose just for preschool - it is silly. The issue is, we make pesos, not dollars so to compare the cost of private schools in NYC (one of the most expensive places to live in the world) to Buenos Aires does not make sense from our standpoint.
I live three blocks from the Canada school and checked out the cost for S&Gs, we cannot afford it. The idea is that on top of paying for school, there are all of the extra activities that are not included. For example, my cousin sends her kids to St Brigids in Caballito. It is, at minimum $3k per month per child, which, while having a great language program, does not include sports or music. My MIL used to work (for 40 years or more) at Misericordia in Flores, it is less expensive however does not include language, music or sports. I know it is a bit early to be checking prices (hey, inflation and all) but I feel better being informed of our options now rather than later.

Agreed - it seems the average cost for an averageish jardin is running 3000 pesos a month per kid. Plus the extras. I'm already freaking out at the thought of paying for school x2! Hopefully the offer a twins discount :)

Private school prices vary greatly - but so does the quality. ;) I know one that only charges 300 pesos a month, but you probably wouldn't want to send your kids there (it's in a rundown neighborhood in provincia.) :p Still better than the public schools.

We've been buying my sister in law baby stuff while vacationing here in Miami. :) It's unbelievable how much cheaper everything is - not to mention better quality and selection.

I suppose you can get all the essentials in BA, but if you can make a trip to the USA for shopping, it might be worth it.

We have some rich Argie friends who send their kids (twins) to public school and love it. It is called Lenguas Vivas, it is a lottery to get in.
There is also a blog by a US women who sends her kids to public high school and also loves it.
You need to pick and choose the school, they vary a lot in quality (and also don´t start until later on). I think people get scared off before they investigate all of their options.
I taught at a ritzy school in Recoleta. Probably better for the kids to let them watch TV all day then send them there. They were all children of diplomats, btw.

Most baby stuff is cheaper in the US, but you can find good deals here, if you hunt for them. Always look for the Cheeky outlets and other brands in Cabildo. They can have good deals at the change of season.
Bring toys and big baby gear from the US since that will be three times more expensive here.
Regarding schools, it is very similar to what happens in the US. With the difference that there are many more private schools to fit any budget, religion or interest. Top private schools, if you earn in pesos are not affordable, but earning in USD blue and compared to the top privates in East Coast they are a bargain... It is all relative. Some public schools are good, but as in the US they are a lottery to get into or you need to be zoned for them, no difference there. Maybe that is why Newyorkers adapt easily to BA, once you have dealt with prepping your TWO year old kid for the ERB's/OLSATS and praying for the spot at a magnet school anything is simpler than that. :)

Anyone had any hassle or had to pay for bringing in bulky baby items through Ezeiza? My partner is thinking of bringing a new car seat for our child but he'll be travelling alone. Should he make it look used? Will he need to show a receipt for it? (That would prove it's brand new, though.) Thanks for your thoughts.

is he argentine or a foreigner? if hes a foreigner play dumb, dont speak spanish and usually there isnt an issue. if hes argentine he could always say it was a gift.

Anyone had any hassle or had to pay for bringing in bulky baby items through Ezeiza? My partner is thinking of bringing a new car seat for our child but he'll be travelling alone. Should he make it look used? Will he need to show a receipt for it? (That would prove it's brand new, though.) Thanks for your thoughts.
Take the car seat out of the box, on most airlines you can travel with one car seat for free, so he can just pretend he used it during the flight, we brought a new one, no questions asked, nada.

Brought one of those Abram Tank stroller's (huge) for friend while traveling alone. No problems. Checked it in as baggage with the airline in the US and rolled that puppy through EZE. No questions asked anywhere. Quite surprised no one hassled me, am over 60 yrs old. Had a line of BS ready and no one cared. Was going to tell them my daughter was traveling with me and she just went through (customs) ahead of me.

Back