Banco Galicia: international transfer, 2 weeks and no money deducted yet?

I see. We're talking sending 10k-15K USD. I don't want to trade with a stranger who I don't know, because I have no certainty he/she won't simply just run off with the money.

I've had my Galicia account for now 6 months.
I would try again with a different employee. Or just trade some money until you have a bit less than 10k and take it with you on your flight back home. You could also take up to 10k cash with you and get 5k worth of Amex traveller checks maybe? Is it just you flying back? if you are here with a friend or relative, you can just split the cash and take it back home in usd. This would be the most cost effective and least hassle imho

If you have the Galicia account in pesos, the one that is free for everybody, then they will not open an account in usd. You need to have a paid package to be able to get an additional account in usd.

What is the paid package? I'll pay whatever is necessary to have the account in USD.

Thanks for all the advice!

What is the paid package? I'll pay whatever is necessary to have the account in USD.

Thanks for all the advice!
The super basic account is a free caja de ahorro en pesos, you cannot add anything to this. Then they have other packages ( classic, eminent, etc ) Ask all your questions beforehand to the accounts officer. Let him know that you need an account in usd ( beware your destination account has to be in usd too ) because you need to buy dollars using homebanking. This is not something to do in a super rush though it might take a few days until everything is working. If I was you I would not bother with a bank for such a small amount. In any case, we have been 4 days without banks due to a strike so today it will be insane. Go tomorrow.

Do you know if I can get a USD account with Galicia with a temporary residency visa (I have a DNI)? They have refused me this service when I asked.

Hi kiwi37,

Is this money transfer the only thing that keeps your here?

Basically, I think you are doing OK. Galicia is supposed to be good enough. Just go there and talk to them again. In person. If they say they they cannot do it, then you should start considering other options.

Yes, the money is the only thing delaying my departure. Since intl transfers can't be done via internet banking, I have to be physically present until I resolve this.

I'll talk with Galicia. If that doesn't work, there's also someone on this forum who has pounds and needs peso, and contacted me about doing a transfer through trade.

Sounds like an awful headache for 10-15K. Especially if it's impacting your plans.
Find an expat who is known on these boards, some people have been here for a long time.
Send 2K at a time if you are worried about theft.

Hi ben,

I'm still young and don't have much money yet, so this 10-15k USD is a lot for me.
Thanks for the advice, I'll make a post shouting out to residents who need pesos, and see who replies.

You can take up to 10k on your person without issues when leaving the country.

Edit: Nikad beat me to it. :cool:

Back