Banco Nacion At Ezeiza - No Longer Buying Pesos

TruchoTango

Registered
A friend was in town. She had about 5 thousand pesos left over. It wasn't convenient for me to meet up with her and buy them back, so I told her to change them at the airport at Banco Nacion, like people have done for years.

She just sent me a message. The Banco Nacion at the airport is not buying back pesos for dollars any longer. The bank told her they have no dollars. Unbelievable.

Just so you all know...

Couldnt she just go to the commercial cambio window at the airport?

You never expect to get a decent rate for for-ex at airports- its a profit making business, and they always gouge you.

But its pretty clear that a government bank in Argentina, whose government is doing everything they can think of to keep dollars in the country so they can pay off Macri's debt, is not going to be dispensing dollars so you can take them out of the country.
The biggest problem they have to address is the shortage of dollars- so, even if its only a PR thing, they dont want to be giving travellers dollars to leave with...

p.s. Heard on news that 5 peso notes are going out of circulation - will need to exchange them at a bank.

p.s. Heard on news that 5 peso notes are going out of circulation - will need to exchange them at a bank.

Last month, I got my first 5 and 10 pesos coins, this must imply the notes will go out of circulation.

She just sent me a message. The Banco Nacion at the airport is not buying back pesos for dollars any longer. The bank told her they have no dollars. Unbelievable.

During the last cepo, if you exchanged money at the Banco Nacion at the airport and retained the receipt, they would exchange any remaining pesos you had back to dollars when you left. Sounds like this is no longer the case.

Decades of money printing has made the peso so worthless that even it's own government doesn't want anything to do with it.

Back during the previous K administration a reporter asked Anibal Fernandez if he would sell his pesos for dollars and responded that he wasn't a moron.

Back