Banco online with no headaches?

Do not think of using HSBC, Galicia or Santander Rio to receive WU or overseas payments................unless you want mountains of excruciating bureaucracy that changes every month and horrendous mistakes from the bank staff that honestly must have been born yesterday.
WU payments actually arrive as a local deposit in your bank account. So, no paperwork with your Argentinian bank.

Santander opened my first account here when I only had a precaria. To date my passport is still the document registered with the bank.

To be fair it was helped by having connections who asked their exec at the bank to help me. However she explained to me that no DNI is necessary but proof of residence is required to open with Santander. Only took one trip in person to pre-sign documents and the rest was done via email.

Am not sure I’d recommend Santander for foreigners however. The online banking set up was more complicated than it should be. If you have limited Spanish you would likely struggle. Most app functions don’t actually work (never try ordering your turno for the branch using the app...) and I have never managed to make it work with WU (CBUs never recognized) Almost every request will result in you being directed to your branch (and not any branch, but your branch where you opened the account - including simple requests like changing details or limits. To get around needing to go in person for everything you need to have a good relationship with your exec and do it all via email or whatsapp.)

Santander opened my first account here when I only had a precaria. To date my passport is still the document registered with the bank.

To be fair it was helped by having connections who asked their exec at the bank to help me. However she explained to me that no DNI is necessary but proof of residence is required to open with Santander. Only took one trip in person to pre-sign documents and the rest was done via email.

..... and I have never managed to make it work with WU (CBUs never recognized)
Last month a immigration attorney interceded with a local bank for his AUS client to open a local bank account with only having a precaria. I did not inquire the name of the bank or what type of account he opened. But he did mention that his WU AUS bank to ARG bank transactions have been successful.

Last month a immigration attorney interceded with a local bank for his AUS client to open a local bank account with only having a precaria. I did not inquire the name of the bank or what type of account he opened. But he did mention that his WU AUS bank to ARG bank transactions have been successful.
Good point. That reminds me, my immigration lawyers also offered to set up an account for me when I got the precaria for a very small fee. Perhaps the way to go for any new arrivals struggling to get bankalized.

Back