Bank account is closed

TomAtAlki

Registered
I received a letter from HSBC asking me to bring in my DNI for verification before the end of the year. I do not have a DNI but brought in my passport and Cuit (?), the items I used to open my account several years ago. The banker told me that, by order of the central bank, I have to have or be working on getting a DNI in order to have a bank account in Argentina. They closed my account, gave me my money and sent me on my way without even a kiss on the cheek.

If you have a bank account and no DNI I would recommend, at the least, taking most of your money out for the time being.

Interesting. I helped a friend get a Banco Frances account about a month ago with no DNI, and no residency. It was no issue, and he hasn't received any notices like the one HSBC is sending. I will update if he does.

WOW ---- so they really are following through with this! From what I gather HSBC seems to be the only one enforcing the rule. Does anybody from another bank have a similar experience?

I just went to Galicia today to check on this and the banker confirmed it too. I had my DNI but have to provide them with my CUIT or CUIL in order to keep my account open. They told me this is a new requirement though they never sent me a letter about it. (I went because of the earlier post on BAExpats about it.)

Back