Bank Account Recommendations And Fees

An_albumparty

Registered
Hi, I'm planning on moving to Argentina and as such will likely open a bank account.

I have an HSBC as well as a Citi account in my home country and although I realise that both operate in Argentina, I was wondering which banks are generally considered 'better' in Argentina?

Also all banks seem to charge you a fee for having even a basic paquete or card. Where I live now these are normally waived without problems even if there is an annual fee, is this the case in Argentina or do they actually charge this?

I don't believe that one can open a bank account in Argentina without a DNI.

I have an HSBC as well as a Citi account in my home country and although I realise that both operate in Argentina, I was wondering which banks are generally considered 'better' in Argentina?

HSBC, Argentina continues to operate here.

Re: Citibank, Argentina....16 April 2017
http://www.infobae.c...a-los-clientes/

As to which banks are generally considered better here, it depends on the individual banking needs of each client.

/Undoubtedly, the person who asked the question about banking understands Spanish. Not.
Ms G, why don't you tell those who weren't able to read the article in Spanish what it said in English in 25 words ỏr fewer?

Thanks for the advice: I understand that I will need to get my DNI before opening a bank account. I was mainly trying to seek advice/opinions on which are the preferred banks that foreigners bank with.

/Undoubtedly, the person who asked the question about banking understands Spanish. Not.
Ms G, why don't you tell those who weren't able to read the article in Spanish what it said in English in 25 words ỏr fewer?

Google translate....

I was mainly trying to seek advice/opinions on which are the preferred banks that foreigners bank with.

Types of individual bank accounts most commonly used by expats/foreigners:

1. Savings and/or checking accounts in ARG$ pesos only. Monthly/yearly maintenance fees ????

2. Savings and/or checking accounts in ARG$ pesos and US$ dollars. Monthly/yearly maintenance fees ????

Plus this UNIQUE type of savings account....
http://www.bcra.gob....s_de_ahorro.asp

By regulation of the Argentine Central Bank, the savings bank account in pesos is free, including the use of its linked debit card (Com. A 5928 of 3/21/16).

Banks in the list below are obliged by law to offer this type of account to individuals who QUALIFY.

http://www.bcra.gob....co=AAA00&tipo=1
Banco Central de la Republica de ARG (BCRA)....Central Bank of the Republic of Argentina
Información actualizada a Enero de 2017.....Informacion actualized as of January, 2017

The following list pertains to banking entities which provide services to individual depositors in CABA (Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires). Their main offices are here in the capital and have branches throughout CABA's 48 neighborhoods.

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO COLUMBIA S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO COMAFI SOCIEDAD ANONIMA[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO CREDICOOP COOPERATIVO LIMITADO[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO DE GALICIA Y BUENOS AIRES S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO DE LA CIUDAD DE BUENOS AIRES[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO DE LA NACION ARGENTINA[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO DE LA PROVINCIA DE BUENOS AIRES[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO ITAU ARGENTINA S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO MACRO S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO MERIDIAN S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO PATAGONIA S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO PIANO S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO SANTANDER RIO S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BANCO SUPERVIELLE S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BBVA BANCO FRANCES S.A.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]HSBC BANK ARGENTINA S.A.[/background]

I will leave it to other expats if they wish to post their opinions as to which is their bank(s) of preference.

It is hard to recommend a bank without knowing what kind of services you will be suing the most ( ie: local transfers, intl transfers, local credit cards, home banking, pay for utilities, atms, etc ) Citibank is not operating in Arg anymore. All banks have all their fees and rates published on their respective websites.

I'm also interested in this topic. Which bank deals well with sending/receiving USD transactions from overseas? Also looking to minimise fees of course - understand Argentine banks are some of the worst when it comes to fees and taking money for doing fuck all. I heard Banco Galicia, Santander and ICBC are good candidates ?

I'm also interested in this topic. Which bank deals well with sending/receiving USD transactions from overseas? Also looking to minimise fees of course - understand Argentine banks are some of the worst when it comes to fees and taking money for doing fuck all. I heard Banco Galicia, Santander and ICBC are good candidates ?
For intl transfers I would recommend Galicia, BBVA Frances, Santander Rio they are not the cheapest, yet not the most expensive.

Back