Bank Account With Just a Passport and CDI Number (No DNI)

el_expatriado

Registered
Hi guys,

I have a friend who is working on his residency but he's currently here just on a tourist visa. He is going to start making some investments and he needs to get a bank account here. Does anyone know of a local bank who will open an account for someone who only has a CDI number and a US passport?

Thanks for your help!

Used to be possible to open a savings account but a few months ago, such accounts were closed if I recall (there's one thread or two in the forum). Not 100% sure though

I got mine at Banco frances, few years ago,and still have it.Give it a try.

jurarol said:
I got mine at Banco frances, few years ago,and still have it.Give it a try.

Same. It was a Mendoza (city) branch. Don't know if that would make any difference. Was 3 or 4 years ago. If I recall they wanted my Passport number and CUIL.

opened an account by santander in december 2011....was a terrible mess, nearly impossible, even with a DNI! Tried by several other banks too.....
Think there must have come some new restrictions or so....

GS_Dirtboy said:
Same. It was a Mendoza (city) branch. Don't know if that would make any difference. Was 3 or 4 years ago. If I recall they wanted my Passport number and CUIL.

Don't you have to have a DNI to get the CUIL?

I got my CUIL before my DNI. The CUIL number was temporary and they changed it to match my DNI once I got it.

No, at least not 4 years ago. Went to AFIP, stood in line for 3 days. Showed my Passport. Done. It might be different now.

When I got my DNI I had to get another CUIL number as they couldn't / wouldn't match the old one with the new document.

genialf said:
I got my CUIL before my DNI. The CUIL number was temporary and they changed it to match my DNI once I got it.

This. And I don't think there is a time limit, so you may be able to just tell them you plan on switching it eventually (if or when that happens).

Well it's been years and things do change, but I opened my account with Banco Patagonia several years ago with no problem, well except I had to have a certificado de resencia (provided by the police department) and a CUIL. Wasn't really a problem then but I don't know about now. I had no legal residency then and was staying at a hospedage.

Back