Bank & ATM TOTAL FEE = 48 pesos ??!?!

Using a debit card (Visa Electron etc) will cost you only the 11 pesos, I think. In France, 0 pesos, in Thailand, 20 pesos more or less. Credit cards take a percentage because they are giving you money "in advance".

Roxana said:
I would add to use a proxy when you connect to Charles Schwab online, so they dont know you are abroad.

Doesn't matter. They ultimately need a signed document so it doesn't matter where you are coming from regarding ISP. You need a US PHYSICAL mailing address.

The process with Schwab is very easy. But it does require that mailing address. I got my card and it's a godsend. It doesn't matter how much an ATM charges for fees, it gets reimbursed...and no exchange rate fees.

My advice for Americans living here with someone trusted back in the US:
1) Fill out the Schwab form online
2) Have the form sent to someone you trust, family member, in the US
3) just have them sign and send the thing back
4) When the card arrives, have the family member send it to you here.

The other alternative is to just plan your next US visit around when you'd be able to pick up the card. Doing the math, you find you save so much. If you take money out every week and get a $48 peso charge, that's almost $2500 pesos a year...which you can avoid with a no-fee card.

artur said:
on the screen they are charging me 16 pesos
on my account it says 48 pesos were deducted.

Did you have funds in your credit card account ?
If you withdraw using a credit card without the card balance being in credit, you will be charged interest on that money, usually around 15% to 20% p/a. You dont get free credit (the usual month or 2) to pay for this at no charge like you do when you buy something from a shop.

Well, there are a boatload of fees. You have the 16 peso fee charged here. And then if you're withdrawing from a US account, there typically is a 3% conversion charge (to convert from USD to pesos). And on top of that, usually US banks charge you for using non-US ATMs. It's really quite expensive, sadly.

VISA creditcard in HSBC only has a fee in your own bank. Limit AR$ 1,000,- per 24 hours.

Back