Banking for ex-pats

erindanelle said:
Thanks for the thought... but i'm one of those that isn't really an 'expat' by true definition.
Anyways, I secretly enjoy the monthly trip to the outlet I use in Liniers.. great excuse to eat Bolivian salteñas!
Aha - now we get the real truth about why you insist on paying monthly :D:D

The internet shop method would cost AU$ 12 or less - depending on card - for a AU$ 300 tranfer, but it does need an i.s. in the other end.

Add: I have just checked the fee if I were to use my Danish debit card (Dankort) to transfer money to Danmark through the internet + a shop: DKK 1.95 (AU$ 0.40) + 0.1% per transaction.

wreReynolds said:
...Argentina is ahead certainly of Canada and the US - its a hell of lot easier to pay my bills here - I just go to bank's web site and all my bills are with amounts owing and due dates. It is also easy to transfer money between accounts, even between banks.
Just an aside to satisfy my curiosity ... can't you do that - automatic monthly transfer + corrrecting/adding/refusing each bill - from any bank in Canada and the US?

John.St said:
Just an aside to satisfy my curiosity ... can't you do that - automatic monthly transfer + corrrecting/adding/refusing each bill - from any bank in Canada and the US?
I believe that you can. Both my biggish credit union in Washington, D.C., and my tiny little bank in rural New England offer the service freely.

Firstly, thank you to all those who have replied. It may help if I shed a little more light on the underlying reasons for this post.

I am aware of the need for work VISA, I will be arriving on Indefinite VISA and obtaining DNI/CUIL while I am there. I will be looking for job once I have these (although I am having some telephone interviews now on the basis that I will get these documents in time to start on x date). I will have a mortgage in the UK + associated insurance + bank charges to pay for - whether I can or not on a AR$ salary I have no idea yet, but that is the intention.
It would seem that the best way would be to get an Argentine account, and use the SWIFT/IBAN method to transfer money from the Argentine account to the UK account ?
Another question, is there any problem with maintaining (say) a Llloyds account in the UK if you are in fact living in Argentina (this will be obvious from the money transfers I think ?).
I don't think I will need to transfer money in the other direction (i.e INTO Argentina).
Those who have used the SWIFT/IBAN method, what kind of timescale did you need for the money to appear cleared in your overseas account ?

Thanks again

wreReynolds said:
Talking about banking in Argentina reminds me of an old joke. Two Jews (or Catholics or Muslims, take your pick) are stuck on a desert island. They create three synagogues/churches/mosques. One for each of them and third that they can both boycott.

It isn;t always easy banking here, although in some ways (technologically) Argentina is ahead certainly of Canada and the US - its a hell of lot easier to pay my bills here - I just go to bank's web site and all my bills are with amounts owing and due dates. It is also easy to transfer money between accounts, even between banks.
That said, I suggest you talk HSBC BEFORE you leave, they are about the about the only bank that has a truly global operation with the various countries actually talking to each other. If anyone can help you out, they can.
That said, the authorities and the labyrinthine banking laws here never make any simple transaction easy. And the people at the local branhces generally know nothing, so they do nothing.

Welcome to South America. I do love it, but as a friend once said, its as if the Nazi's had been put in charge of the BBC during the Monty Python era: very, very funny, but deadly.

Good luck.

It will help you not at all, but, I spoke to my local HSBC, I even told them the address of my nearest branch in BsAs, and they said "we can get you a bank account anywhere in the world, except Argentina" I would have to open an account here and then return home to set up any transactions.
I have suggested this before, but surely it is not beyond the ken of the people desperate to bring money in, to do a deal with those desperate to take money out, We are not talking millions here, a few smaller transactions to build up trust maybe, just some ideas.

Dageeza - I don't know what your financial obligations are but be very aware that if you are working for an Argentine company, the pay will probably be substantially lower than what you made overseas. Also - are you aware of the length of time it takes to get a DNI, etc? Can you maintain your finances during the time it takes to get all the paperwork (probably at least 6 months). Are the companies prepared to sponsor you for the work visa? Do you have the paperwork done to get the work visa?
I am not trying to be negative in any manner but just want to be honest with you about the market here and the challenges.

Hi....To pay those bills back home, can you get an extra debit card for your Argentine bank and leave it with someone you trust? Can you pay your bills on line via the Argentine account?

I live 2 hours from BA and have not found a bank that will let me open an account without a DNI, so I have not tried those yet. I have sent money via SWIFT--and after some major hassles, have a suggestion for tracking any transfers: make the amount VERY identifiable, e.g., 1001.13 instead of a round number like one thousand.

When you are evaluating bank cards, consider a PayPal debit card. You can withdraw funds at ATMs for just US$1 plus the local ATM fee, without currency conversion fees.

CoachGayle said:
Hi....To pay those bills back home, can you get an extra debit card for your Argentine bank and leave it with someone you trust? Can you pay your bills on line via the Argentine account?

I live 2 hours from BA and have not found a bank that will let me open an account without a DNI, so I have not tried those yet. I have sent money via SWIFT--and after some major hassles, have a suggestion for tracking any transfers: make the amount VERY identifiable, e.g., 1001.13 instead of a round number like one thousand.
As for opening a bank account, read this post: http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/486-dni.html#post1616 (ignore title, it's about CNI, not DNI).

Best banks for this purpose are assumed to be Itaú and Banco Piano.

It is possible to transfer money from Argentina to elsewhere, e.g. erindanelle does it.

You need the IBAN and SWIFT numbers for the receiving accounts, and it is very wise to test transfer a small amount, so you don't land your hard earned on someone elses account.

Search older threads - lots of info.

Back