Banking for ex-pats

dageeza

Registered
Can someone advise please (apologies if posted in wrong place). Moving to Bs As soon and hopefully will get reasonable IT job there so should be able to get an Argentine account. Problem is, how do you send money back to UK to pay bills etc, and how can you get money from UK into Argentine account. Are there any Banks there with links back to either UK and/or Ireland ? Maybe there is an EU Bank I could open an account in and use that account for everything ?

To be honest this part scares me a lot as I have to have a way of paying direct debits etc. I have to maintain a presence in these countries due to Mortgage etc.

How do people there manage this aspect - any suggestions more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Take it out from your British account and deposit it on your local account if you don't have a salary deposited there

dageeza said:
Problem is, how do you send money back to UK to pay bills etc, and how can you get money from UK into Argentine account. Are there any Banks there with links back to either UK and/or Ireland ? Maybe there is an EU Bank I could open an account in and use that account for everything ?
From any bank account in the world to any other bank account, all you need to know is two numbers of the receiving account:

1. IBAN: International Bank Account Number
2. SWIFT: Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication

Your bank at home will tell you the numbers.

The first time you transfer a small amount to verify the numbers.

The real challenge is to open an account in Argentina.

Read Realba's article: DNI - disregard title, it's about getting a bank account with an CNI, not DNI.

Your plan works in the first world. Not in Argentina. Go to plan C or D or E.

Banco Piano will transfer money to your account, if you have all the relavent details.
What I do not know is if there is a limit. I have done it and they are efficient, though expensive.

If you have a salary in Argentina, deposit your salary on your local account. If there is more cash on it then you need, either spend it or convert it to dollars/Euro's/pounds and take it home with you when you are in GB to visit family. Or give it to relatives you trust

If you dont have enough cash on your local account to manage your life here, take out cash on your European based bank and deposit at your local bank but NEVER as much that it going to hurt you when there is corralito.

tangobob said:
Banco Piano will transfer money to your account, if you have all the relavent details.
What I do not know is if there is a limit. I have done it and they are efficient, though expensive.

Limit is about 5000 dollar for non-real estate transactions

You can also take out cash from your creditcard untill you have reached your limit

ghost said:
Your plan works in the first world. Not in Argentina. Go to plan C or D or E.
- and you have tried to transfer money using IBAN and SWIFT - Yes or No?

I would be careful...salaries here are very low and its hard to get a job if you don't have a DNI (companies want you to have that before they hire you) but then you need a company to sponsor you to get one (unless you marry etc). It can be a vicious circle. Since the peso to the pound is low I would think really hard about relying on a peso salary to live and send money back for substantial monthly expenses in pounds. Just a friendly tip. I'm dealing with the same thing (payment back in the US).

Back