Banking question

I send money directly to my bbva account from the USA and no taxes are taken out. What I sent from WU is what I receive.

Our friend who worked in banking here for years and is now a gestora has begun the process of making Nico a monotributista but says it will take three months. I do not want to wait three months to open a bank account. She was warning me today that if we open a bank account at any of the national banks that they will take a ton of taxes from the money we bring in, but this is all our savings etc from the US that we earned well before coming to the country.

I think registration for monotributo is done on the spot. You visit the closest AFIP office, sign up some papers, they give you a CUIT number and register you as a monotributista in their database. May be some additional steps are involved if you are getting your money from abroad.

You can open a basic savings bank account with DNI only.

The story with taxation usually appears where there is a presumption of a commercial activity. Reasonable amounts sent via WU as "Family Help" are not taxed right now.

Our friend who worked in banking here for years and is now a gestora has begun the process of making Nico a monotributista but says it will take three months.

It definitely shouldn't take 3 months, I'm a monotributista and it took 3 days to become one, you can even do it yourself online.

She was warning me today that if we open a bank account at any of the national banks that they will take a ton of taxes from the money we bring in, but this is all our savings etc from the US that we earned well before coming to the country.

Again, not an accountant, no lawyer, but as it's your savings you legally earned/borrowed/etc while abroad while not tax residents of Argentina, this shouldn't be an issue. That being said, if you're going to be sending hundreds of thousands of pesos per months while not reporting any income generated here it could be an issue as this is a common practice of people who do commit tax evasion (i.e. work remotely and pay no taxes, or participate in smuggling, etc.) While rare, if you bank asks, you can simply provide them a bank statement from your US account, or better yet, that coupled with a DDJJ from your accountant here. If this becomes an issue I highly recommend obtaining an accountant who will know which forms or documents you need to provide, but while abroad I sent my husband over a million pesos over the span of a year and his bank didn't ask anything. (This was of course after he completed the form the WU makes recipients complete, as I assume you already have done)

Would love to be able to send our WU payments directly to a bank account that is attached to a debit card so we can pay for things with that and not walk around with all these bills.

Something you could do is as follows, whether it's kosher or not, again, I'm not a lawyer:
  • Have your husband open a caja de ahorros bank account with his DNI here (he already has has while you wait for yours)
  • Have him open a Naranja X reloadable visa account here
  • You send the money to him from your account in the US to his account here via WU as familiar support
  • He transfers the money you need to buy groceries, things for the apt, whatever to the Naranja X (the card is purple and doesn't put the holders name on it)
  • You could then use the Naranja X card it to shop when you guys aren't together
If you guys are always together anyways while shopping, you should just use his debit card and skip the Naranja X steps. As well, don't open a free universal account, it's limited to people whose transactions don't exceed up to 3x the salario minimo movil y vital (~99K ARS or $495 USD/month) and I'm sure you guys will likely exceed this anyways.

Good luck!

I think registration for monotributo is done on the spot. You visit the closest AFIP office, sign up some papers, they give you a CUIT number and register you as a monotributista in their database. May be some additional steps are involved if you are getting your money from abroad.

You can open a basic savings bank account with DNI only.

The story with taxation usually appears where there is a presumption of a commercial activity. Reasonable amounts sent via WU as "Family Help" are not taxed right now.
What are reasonable amounts? We are about to do some renovations on a home we bought plus electrodomesticos etc, so I want to know what you mean? We have been to an accountant but like so many things here, I feel like I'm talked at in circles and not much actual help or action;). I also realize I'm still living at the pace of life in Chicago while the pace here is about 30 years slower;)

What are reasonable amounts?

Some people may say that 1 thousand dollars per month is a reasonable amount, and 10 thousand dollars is an unreasonable amount for family help, but YMMV. It seems you are looking for certainty, and things do not work this way. If you are trying to do something unreasonable, somebody usually will explain it to you and stop you from doing that.

Just open a bank account, send yourself a small amount via WU and see how it goes.

i have been sending 1000 dollars converted to pesos via western union to my santander bank in cordoba for years now. about 5 months ago, i noticed that 5 percent was deducted right after pesos were deposited each month
Regimen de recaudacion sircreb z

Responsable:20211385376 / 5,00% sobre $213.500,00

i asked the bank about this and they said it was a tax and i could request a review. this is the amount i receive per month from SSI. <partly out of guilt over taking advantage of argentina´¨s financial problems, i have decided to let it be. with 5 percent deduction i am still getting a damn good rate without hassle of getting pesos directly from western union outlet.

i have been sending 1000 dollars converted to pesos via western union to my santander bank in cordoba for years now. about 5 months ago, i noticed that 5 percent was deducted right after pesos were deposited each month
Regimen de recaudacion sircreb z

Responsable:20211385376 / 5,00% sobre $213.500,00

i asked the bank about this and they said it was a tax and i could request a review. this is the amount i receive per month from SSI. <partly out of guilt over taking advantage of argentina´¨s financial problems, i have decided to let it be. with 5 percent deduction i am still getting a damn good rate without hassle of getting pesos directly from western union outlet.

Is the bank deducting 5% from the total amount of your monthly deposits or only the amount above (sobre) $213.500?

no , the 1000 dollars converted to pesos by western union is the only deposit i have monthly, and the bank is not deducting it, but arg or cordoba gov.

no , the 1000 dollars converted to pesos by western union is the only deposit i have monthly, and the bank is not deducting it, but arg or cordoba gov.

OK, but I would still like to know if the "arg or cordoba government" deducting 5% from the total amount of your monthly deposits or only the amount above (sobre) $213.500?

the 213,500 is the amount of pesos deposited by western union, and the gov took 10,675

Back