Banking question

It definitely shouldn't take 3 months, I'm a monotributista and it took 3 days to become one, you can even do it yourself online.

Again, not an accountant, no lawyer, but as it's your savings you legally earned/borrowed/etc while abroad while not tax residents of Argentina, this shouldn't be an issue. That being said, if you're going to be sending hundreds of thousands of pesos per months while not reporting any income generated here it could be an issue as this is a common practice of people who do commit tax evasion (i.e. work remotely and pay no taxes, or participate in smuggling, etc.) While rare, if you bank asks, you can simply provide them a bank statement from your US account, or better yet, that coupled with a DDJJ from your accountant here. If this becomes an issue I highly recommend obtaining an accountant who will know which forms or documents you need to provide, but while abroad I sent my husband over a million pesos over the span of a year and his bank didn't ask anything. (This was of course after he completed the form the WU makes recipients complete, as I assume you already have done)

Something you could do is as follows, whether it's kosher or not, again, I'm not a lawyer:
  • Have your husband open a caja de ahorros bank account with his DNI here (he already has has while you wait for yours)
  • Have him open a Naranja X reloadable visa account here
  • You send the money to him from your account in the US to his account here via WU as familiar support
  • He transfers the money you need to buy groceries, things for the apt, whatever to the Naranja X (the card is purple and doesn't put the holders name on it)
  • You could then use the Naranja X card it to shop when you guys aren't together
If you guys are always together anyways while shopping, you should just use his debit card and skip the Naranja X steps. As well, don't open a free universal account, it's limited to people whose transactions don't exceed up to 3x the salario minimo movil y vital (~99K ARS or $495 USD/month) and I'm sure you guys will likely exceed this anyways.

Good luck!
We have not filled out any form from WU but perhaps I should call and see what that is that you're talking about;). And my question about the Naranja X card is if stores will charge us more for using that vs. cash. Here there seems to always be a discount for paying with cash which is why we tend to that, but I guess that's not true at supermarkets etc. My DNI arrived this week so we made an appointment to go to Banco Frances Monday and I guess we'll find out more then. THanks again for all your help!

Here there seems to always be a discount for paying with cash which is why we tend to that, but I guess that's not true at supermarkets etc.

they discount cash payments because they can avoid AFIP

When a business gives (for example) a ten percent discount for paying with cash and do not provide a "factura" they "avoid" paying AFIP 21% of the sales price, thereby making 11% more on the sale.

It isn't tax avoidance. It's tax evasion, and it isn't legal.

A business that offers a discount if paying with a debit card (as opposed to a credit card) and provides a factura is simply saving the credit card charges and this type of transaction is perfectly legal.

PS: A "factura" (aka receipt with the buyer's ID) should be given for higher priced purchaces (but I don't know the current threshold) while a "ticket comun" is issued for smaller purchases.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're all waiting on bated breath for this ;). I was able to open a cuento de ahorros today in the bank so thankfully soon I can start living in a more normal way again and we can pay our monthly bills automatically online. Thanks for all your help and feedback.

I'm sure you're all waiting on bated breath for this ;). I was able to open a cuento de ahorros today in the bank so thankfully soon I can start living in a more normal way again and we can pay our monthly bills automatically online. Thanks for all your help and feedback.

Yay, congrats! hopefully it comes in the mail quickly, be sure to check out the different ofretas that exist certain days of the week/with certain companies to get a discount!

PS: A "factura" (aka receipt with the buyer's ID) should be given for higher priced purchaces (but I don't know the current threshold) while a "ticket comun" is issued for smaller purchases.

$26,230 for payment via electronic funds transfer/debit/credit/digital wallet, and $13,115 if paying via cash (in the case of consumer final, there's some exemptions if it's for manufacturing, wholesale/retail trade, and vehicle repair, but the business must be registered as an IVA charging enterprise).

As Steve said, it's illegal, but given what the state spends money on (after politicians and their families pocket some for themselves) you might feel less guilty for the discount.

Back