Banks. Has anyone else heard this?

John.St said:
The situation today is far from what it was in 2001, but to claim that the government "can't confiscate money without a court order" is counterfactual.

I very much doubt it will happen under the present conditions.

However, the law only allows you to have a savings account w/o a permanent DNI and that may be what is being enforced.

Customers w/o a permanent DNI may be forced to close their ordinary accounts and either withdraw their money or move them to a savings account (guessing!).

We had a savings account that was closed because of no DNI. We had no checks, no credit cards and we had to pay a monthly fee and take our home owners insurance through the bank (HSBC) and they still closed our account.

I have a Santander Rio savings account and I haven't been contacted yet. I only have a little money in it so I plan to just leave it and see what happens. Anybody else hear anything about their accounts with Santander Rio?

enortham said:
I have a Santander Rio savings account and I haven't been contacted yet. I only have a little money in it so I plan to just leave it and see what happens. Anybody else hear anything about their accounts with Santander Rio?

Galicia told me that this was going to happen at all banks in Argentina. It is not a December 31st drop dead date, but should happen within the first quarter that everyone will be contacted and accounts closed if you do not have a DNI and CUIT or CUIL.

Sleuth said:
Galicia told me that this was going to happen at all banks in Argentina. It is not a December 31st drop dead date, but should happen within the first quarter that everyone will be contacted and accounts closed if you do not have a DNI and CUIT or CUIL.

Sleuth also has an in-home translator, so nothing is "lost in translation".

:)

Talking of banks.....
Last week I went overdrawn to the tune of 5.60 pesos.
For two days, a robot called my mobile at least seven times each day, informing me of my horrendous debt to the bank.
Now, since the voice is obviously a recording and programmed to call in such an event, I'm assuming that my replies were not recorded as it was impossible to interrupt the robot.
Said robot will now be in possession of of some choice Anglo Saxon in his digital dictionary.
That said, I popped ten pesos in the account the next day to get the damn thing off my back :)

Anyone's account closed and money confiscated? I'm in Europe at the moment and my card (Banco Ciudad) has stopped working in the last few weeks. Could be related, but it was working until early December. I opened the account with cdi and European passport

Any updates on this - or was it just a single incident and a rumor?

My bank just told me that I needed to take them my DNI within 30 days or they'd close the account. But it's weird... I came here with a company and another friend did, he chose BBVA and I chose Río... he asked in BBVA and they said he didn't need anything so I don't know if it depends on the bank.

Hi,
I moved here with a plan to open a restaurant with the escribanias helping me to open an account. The only place i have been able to open an account in 4.5 years is Banco Nacion de Argentina because they refuse to give me a DNI. I also had an account at BBVA in Mendoza and they withheld my funds for 3 months! I had no money and had to borrow from the locals to pay bills and buy food!

I moved from Mendoza to Rio Negro and the Banco Nacion de Argentina (possibly incorrect name) debit card stopped working. I was told that i needed to travel to Mendoza (much time and money) to collect the new card. I decided it was best to move my acct to Rio Negro.

When i transferred the acct to Rio Negro, all history of my Mendoza acct was lost! I was unable to transfer GBP to this Rio Negro branch! Imagine.. the same national bank with different rules in each province!

SO, I had to suffer another 6 weeks waiting for them to allow me to have access to my money, though I had been transferring money from my British account for 4 years! Be careful. Other people nearby use HSBC for all of their money procedures, but I cannot change accts now that i live in argentina and the British Govt refuse to do any direct deposits of my pension into any argentine acct.

Also, please note that they refuse to give me any document telling me about the commission or fees that were paid in the transfer of monies from England to Argentina, though they require seeing the original bank statement from England showing my transfer... with an apostille and translation! Costly in time and funds.:confused:

Back