Argentina has the worst banks, huh?

Malvinas

Registered
I sent $500 to my friend's Moneybookers account and he withdrew to his bank account. They charged about 20%. They claim half of the charge was from Moneybookers which is ridiculous as MB only deducts from inside your account. This was after a month of producing documents and signing papers to prove I don't know what about the funds.

Is there any good way to wire money to someone in Argentina? Western Union ends up costing about 10%. Xoom is alright but only for Americans. Please advise.

texxaslonghorn said:
Never used it, but I've heard paypal is alright.

I think this would work if the recipient had a paypal account and a paypal issued card to make ATM withdrawals in Argentina.

steveinbsas said:
I think this would work if the recipient had a paypal account and a paypal issued card to make ATM withdrawals in Argentina.

Well, there is a golden opportunity for you, huh . . . .

Sorry if I misread it, but your reply seemed to have a bit of sass.

Actually, Paypal doesn't operate easily inside of Argentina. I *think* it works if you have a checking account and a credit card linked to the same account, but if you just have savings account and a regular debit card it won't work. Debit cards aren't the same here as they are in the States, as you cannot complete any online transactions with one. So while you might be able to get money into your friends paypal account, it's less likely that they'd be able to extract the cash (assuming that's what they need).

I've never done this before, but when we were researching buying a house here (thankfully since decided not to do it) we were looking at Banco Piano to get the money into the country. Maybe they're worth taking a look at? http://www.bancopiano.com.ar/

Otherwise, Western Union might be your easiest pick. Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck.

ETA: Just saw Steve's post, and yes: if they have a special card authorized to withdraw money in Argentina paypal may work...

With all the problems over the years only about 30% of Argentinians have a bank account and I can't blame them. The banks in general aren't very good but the real problem is the government. People have just been burned to many times and there is a complete lack of trust.

One of the most realiable ways to send money abroad is Casa Piano.
Regards

Back